jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you handle people who insist on misinterpreting everything you said?

1. kschang profile image87
    kschangposted 6 years ago

How do you handle people who insist on misinterpreting everything you said?

"D" and I were discussing scams. We were going fine, then D started to denounce a particular company as a scam. I told him that this company is legal in the US and having not studied it, I can't denounce it. Somehow that was interpreted as an attack on D's position, and soon full on attacks and accusations started to fly from his blog. Even a comment about another scam was somehow to interpreted as "egocentric declaration".

How would you resolve a situation like that, or is it just best to ignore "D" and chalk up the situation as "lost beyond salvage"?

2. sean kinn profile image59
    sean kinnposted 6 years ago

Might be cultural differences. I tend to shy away from people when too many things are lost in translation. :-)

3. profile image0
    michaelbt2posted 6 years ago

Easy answer...ignore "D."

I had a coworker who was let go for ample reasons awhile back. He has had 4 jobs since that time within the past 2 years. Eventually one has to realize who the common denominator is and change their ways. Seems like a similar situation. Don't let it get to you. I'm sure you're not the only that has to put up with "D's" ways.

4. Katharella profile image77
    Katharellaposted 6 years ago

I agree with the other answers. Forget "D." Of course it's fair to give "D" a second chance at redeeming the friendship, but if they are not willing to do that, how can you have any quality conversation in the future? This happened to me twice. I gave both situations a benefit of a doubt. Just yesterday I wrote to a third party "G" and asked her if "P" was gone or not "playing our game anymore." Rather than her going to "P" and lying to her, she simply replied that "P" had to go back to school but her sister "R" was taking over her place! I thanked "G" for letting me know "P" "R" and I are all still good friends. I think everyone deserves at least one chance, but if they're not willing to believe you, definitely forget them, move on, there's always new friendships out there that are worth it. It actually strengthens a friendship when you can talk openly and not worry about everything you say, such as my friendship with "G".

working