jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Would you be more likley to talk on the phone or sent a text message, and why?

1. catsimmons profile image82
    catsimmonsposted 6 years ago

Would you be more likley to talk on the phone or sent a text message, and why?

2. Cookinmom11 profile image61
    Cookinmom11posted 6 years ago

It depends who I'm talking to and where I am. 

If I want to talk to my kids, I text. That's their preferred method and I'm OK with that.

If I want to talk to my parents, I call. Texting is not part of their world  and won't be any time soon.

Actually, I prefer to text because I can keep doing what I'm doing, and it keeps the conversation short and sweet. I'm not a big fan of talking on the phone. smile

3. bmgollhofer profile image74
    bmgollhoferposted 6 years ago

I prefer text message as is fast, easy, and avoids long conversations if you only have a few minutes to spare. Plus its easier to do in school, at work, etc

4. catsimmons profile image82
    catsimmonsposted 6 years ago

Hi Cookinmom
    Yep I'm the same with my kids. Usually I chat with my parents on the phone too..but I do text my Dad sometimes when I have a short update (they can talk for hours!) Also I'm in Canada and my parents are in the UK so the time diff can be a pain...

5. Lee Douglas profile image61
    Lee Douglasposted 6 years ago

Text Message every time.

And at work, I e-mail rather than make phone calls.

This is mostly due to my personality, where I have trouble concentrating on one thing at time. With Txt/E-mail, I can have several conversations at once, whilst also doing something else.

Whilst, when I'm on the phone - I have to concentrate much more, and also have trouble sometimes processing the information as I can't see the other person whilst they are speaking.

Also, I have an embarrassing habit of mimicking the other person's accent when I speak to them. I recently spoke to someone from Ireland on the phone in work, and couldn't get rid of the accent for a week!

That was quite an amusing week for my colleagues!!

6. Gyldenboy profile image60
    Gyldenboyposted 6 years ago

I like phoning and being phoned more. If I get a text from a long known contact, I simply call back.

I'm not a fan of texting. Sometimes, I'll send an address or reminder to someone through a text. That to me, is the best use for texting. But for conversations, I don't like texting.

I'll humor conversational texting with a new contact. However, eventually I'll reduce my participation on the texting bandwagon. Making it clear in a nice way, phone calls are the best way to reach me.

In my case, texting is a chore. It distracts me from what I need to do more then talking on the phone would. I can't resist trying to perfect my texts before sending them. It's a nightmare.

However, I can talk on the phone and do anything on my list of hobbies or things to get done. It's great. I can even repeat what the person has told me. I can also hear the voice, and gauge what the other person maybe feeling.

Nothing beats a phone call. I can keep them as short and to the point as a text as needed. My shortest phone calls, have been no more then a minute. It's not unusual for me to make calls like that during the day.

Phones calls, they rock. ^^

7. JEDIJESSICUH profile image80
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

Most people I'd rather talk to via text message. I can be wittier in a text because I don't have to respond immediately. I can take a minute to think of a good response. In person you have to go, go, go. There's no stopping to figure out what to say next.

8. wedmed profile image59
    wedmedposted 6 years ago

text message is so impersonal. So, I would rather talk to a person!

9. supplies expert profile image60
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

I'm only 22 years old and I know most people think our generation is all about texting and I may be an outlier, but trying to have a conversation through text messages it's probably the stupidest thing anyone can do. It literally takes 10 times longer to text a full on conversation rather than just call and talk for all of 2 mins usually. I just find texting to be good for quick updates or quick responses, but for a conversation it's just more efficient to call each other.  Too many times have I had someone misinterpret a text and go to the wrong place or go at the wrong time. I'd prefer phone calls.

10. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

I always text ... i don't know if the person i'm trying to get in touch with is busy or not and i'm sure they'll get my msg when they get free.