A little less conversation... A little more texting

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Aneegma profile image71
    Aneegmaposted 11 years ago

I was watching a documentary on TV on how texting has completely replaced good old fashioned face to face communication. Apparently we have all become zombies. Especially our teens. Can you believe over 85% of teens are completely useless in communicating face to face with one another and depend entirely on texting/facebooking/twittering?

I mean take a look at your normal day. When you're out shopping, in the bus, in the train when you chilling at the park, how many people do you see glued to their phones?

So my question is this.. are you a modern day zombie? Do you prefer to text rather than actually speak to the person you're constantly texting? Do you find it sad that technology has destroyed the essence of human contact?

I'm preparing a hub on this topic so I'd like to get your views on this so I can write a well balanced article.

Thank you!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I currently don't have a cell phone and I've never texted smile

Aneegmaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bravo, you're my hero! smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I believe it.  And although adults haven't caught the disease quite so badly, we're still talking to people much less, and emailing instead.

I used to think I gave up my corporate job because I was sick of the hypocrisy - but actually, it was much more because my job had changed so much.  Once upon a time, my job involved talking to people all day - whether I called them on the phone, ran around to their desk or they came to me.  I was always frantically busy but I enjoyed my job.  Email came along and took some of the pressure off, which was great at first - but gradually, it got to the point where I never had to speak to anyone, and I spent the whole day glued to a screen, communicating via email.

I only realized how much things had changed when I lost my voice (for three months) and was able to carry on my job without any trouble.  Whereas a few months later, when a computer virus took out our network and I had no email for a week, I couldn't do anything.

3. Laurinzo Scott profile image64
      Laurinzo Scottposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am so old fashioned I guess you could call it. I love the good ol' voice, because you can hear the heart , and express yourself to that person. I though am a real throwback, cause I still do love the sound of a needle on a record. Reading a real, paper book, instead of online.  Besides people can text at the most inopertune times , and still expect you to respond. Wow.

1. WannaB Writer profile image87
        WannaB Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a smart phone and I've never learned how to use my phone for texting. I prefer conversations in person anytime, because body language is so important in communication. I don't own an ebook reader, either. With two houses and a warehouse full of paper books, I doubt if I will have any use for an ebook reader.

I'm obviously considered a dinosaur, and I'm a bit upset that so many companies now want to send personal pin numbers and such important ID items by texting me, since I don't text. I can't remember specific examples, but important online services want my cell phone number so they can text these messages to me. I use it only for calling out and give it only to friends and family members.  I doubt if more than five people have it.

If I can't talk to someone in person in a long conversation, I'd prefer to email them. It's really hard to say anything much of  substance in a few characters.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't text, I call. But a text is sweet once in awhile! Yes, we are entering a different mode of socializing and it has an effect on linguistics (how they cut words in texts) and socialization process.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I only text when it's convenient and necessary. I don't use a phone at work nor look at it except on my lunch break. I find it annoying seeing people of any age walking around glued to their phone. I think it has become more habit than anything else. I'm sure there is a fairly high percentage of texters texting for the sake of texting, not for communication.

3. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I actually dislike texting. It takes up too much time. I prefer calling, so the conversation isn't terribly punctuated. I've noticed most of the teens around me have difficulty communicating if they aren't texting. I'm not complaining though-- my better communication skills helped me in job interviews, at work, with teachers, etc. It gives me an advantage over the tech-addicted.

4. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

I hate texting - it's fiddly and as a 50 wpm typist, I find it frustratingly s-l-o-w.

5. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 11 years ago

I like texting for logistical things. "What time are you coming over?" or "I'm running late, sorry!" Sometimes it's not worth an entire phone call. Of course, for real conversations about real things, in-person all the way.

1. Paige Ronchetti profile image59
      Paige Ronchettiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm the same way. It's easier to communicate minor details via text, especially with certain people in my life turn every little phone call into a half-hour event.

6. rebekahELLE profile image84

Exactly. It saves time if you don't want to get caught up in a conversation.

7. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

I love texting for things like having actual conversations with my husband in a situation where it might be rude to be yacking away - on a bus, train, etc...

Other than that, I'd rather converse the old fashioned way - face to face.  For long distance relatives, I love the phone.

I'm hitting into my late thirties, but I'm pretty tech savvy.  At the moment, though, neither of us (my hubby and I) are working...so NO cell phone. 

smile

8. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 11 years ago

The first realization here on how bad the disconnect is getting came in the DMV one day. A mother was talking to a clerk about her son's license. The young man was standing right there with his mother. Eventually the clerk asked mom why the fellow couldn't speak for himself. She replied, "Oh, he's too busy texting." He was at that and never said a word the whole time they were there.

9. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

Texting is an addictive behavior and people need to start waking up before it's too late.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For many it is. It bothers me to see young kids walking through the store with their parents and they're (kids) texting away. There is no interaction, just mindless walking with no awareness of their surroundings. If a parent can't figure out that that is an issue, they've got bigger problems ahead.

10. Jules Gonzalez profile image60
    Jules Gonzalezposted 11 years ago

Aneegma, I actually cringe whenever I get a text. It upsets me! Strange to some I guess but I prefer talking on the phone then writing a text and having the person take everything I have written the wrong way. Alot of miscommunication happens that way. You have people getting upset at you because they misunderstood what you mean't in the text. Ughhh... I just don't like it personally so I guess you can call me old fashioned.

11. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 11 years ago

I have a cell phone, but it's only a Tracfone, so I pay for minutes as I use them up...which rarely ever happens, lol. The phone I have doesn't have the little mini-keyboard on it, so everyone knows NOT to text me, because it would take me 10 or 15 minutes to answer them, because it takes me so long to text them back on a numbered, not keyboard-ed, phone, haha. I usually end up just calling them back--it's much faster for me, and a lot less frustrating, too!

But I also very seldom even use the phone--we have a landline at home, and so the cellphone is mostly just for urgent calls, never long conversations.  Half of the time I forget to take it with me when I leave the house anyway! lol

I have noticed how prevalent the text spelling(?)is, though.  On Facebook, so many teens and 20-somethings use that shorthand version of spelling, and I hate it--some of it is too hard to understand, and it just seems lazy, sorry!  It also makes me wonder how their spelling of actual words has been affected...

12. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

They now make a phone that you can actually speak into and it comes out as text at the receiving end.  Imagine, actually TALKING into your phone. If you're going to talk anyway, why not just call in the first place? We seem to have come full circle... talking, texting, and now voice turned into text. Unfortunately, this is not going to go away.  Cell phones are no longer just phones.  They are mini handheld computers that access the internet, play music, take pictures, and do a host of other functions.  Our children embrace this future... with both hands on their little mini keyboards, too preoccupied with texting to notice much of anything else any more.  It's that disconnection from the real world that I worry about. There is an 18 year old trial right now in Massachusetts for homicide, accused of hitting and killing someone while texting behind the wheel.

First of all I love your name big_smile big_smile

Second of all I agree with you on how children embrace this and parents are powerless to stop this. Like the other day we went out for a meal at a trendy restaurant and there was like a family of five sitting next to us ( parents and three kids) They all sat there staring at their phones and only spoke when the waiter came up. I found that so disturbingly annoying that I went to the manager and requested that they should ban using mobile phones in restaurants. The manager agreed with me and said it was brought up in their staff meeting previously and that the majority of waiters find it extremely annoying when people are texting or facebooking whilst in the restaurants.It's like they are serving zombies and not humans. Restaurants are places to relax and interact with people and bringing mobiles kills the purpose besides making money. I do hope that it becomes legal to ban mobile phones in public places.

13. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I'll be honest, I'm not fond of talking to anyone on the phone, and I'm really not fond of talking to people in person. I much prefer to text, although I do so safely. I don't text in the car or while crossing a street, etc. Texting is also a great way for me to communicate with my husband when he's at work. I can send him say something to add to the grocery list, and when he gets a break he gets the message.

Don't get me wrong, I would not have an argument with him over texts, but I enjoy light conversation with him via texts. It was helpful at work as well, since we live in an area with very little reception, I was able to send a text letting them know I was running late, or calling out. If I had one bar on my phone, I could get a text out, but the phone wouldn't let me make a call! Rather annoying actually.

I do think texting is getting out of hand. But if you text responsibly (not while driving, walking or having a conversation with someone else, that's just rude) I don't see the harm in it.

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey DOM,

Just to let you know, you should be able to edit any post you make on the forums, upto 3 hours. So, if you need to make a change to a post, adding or deleting words or sentences, you can.

You should have an edit option, when you look at your own individual posts. After 3 hours from the original time it was posted, you cannot change it and becomes permanent part of the forums.

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
          Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey thanks Casgil! I did not know that. I guess I just never clicked on the "more" button.

You're awesome! big_smile

Ha! Fixed it tee hee... Thanks again!

You're welcome. smile

14. rebekahELLE profile image84

As a parent and a teacher, this is so disgusting to me. That is simply bad parenting. Not only is it rude, it's pathetic.

Don't get me wrong. I have a smart phone and I love it, but there is a time and place for phone activity, and kids under 12-13 don't need the latest android, imo.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm not a parent yet but it annoys me when I see under 10 year olds on their smartphones.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was trying to go into a store the other day, and a 4- or 5-year-old kid was coming out with his parents--so intent on the iPhone in his hand that he basically just stood in the doorway staring at it--and his parents just LET HIM block the door for a full minute! I was flabbergasted. It's like the old parenting technique of plopping your kid in front of the television, but worse, because it's mobile, and therefore constant.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wow, I definitely would have made some icy remark, like 'could you please keep your preschooler and his iphone from blocking the entrance'. 

Imagine that kid in a classroom. roll

Yeah, imagine that IN the classroom. roll And this is what is being taught as acceptable behavior? So much for parents leading by example. sad

This just shows how nowadays people just make babies without realizing that they have a duty to teach them some common sense etiquette. Worse off if you tried to tell the parents to remove the child from blocking the way, they would take offence and sue you for discrimination. There should be a law banning some people to be parents if they are dumb enough to give a 4 year child a smartphone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)