Do you think texting is a disrespectful way of communication?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)
  1. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 9 years ago

Do you think texting is a disrespectful way of communication?

Texting has become a main focus for individuals in the age group of 17 and 25. How do you feel about texting? Do you think it is better to converse face-to-face?

2. VictoriaSheffield profile image82
    VictoriaSheffieldposted 9 years ago

I honestly do not. I think that some thinks should not be communicated with a text however. Some people like me do not have a lot of time to talk on the phone.

1. DDE profile image46
      DDEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree face-to-face  but  should  not be overused thank you.

3. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 9 years ago

At first, I was against texting. I felt like people should just get on the phone and dial up the number to talk to each other. Then, my daughters started texting random messages like, "I luv u" with smiley faces and hearts. I thought it would be appropriate to learn text talk and respond back. Now, my daughters and I text throughout the day and it's fun receiving and sending texts. I have grown to enjoy texting with them. BUT, I only use texting as a fun tool to keep in touch with people in a lighthearted way. I'm not ready to use texting as a form of business communication or serious conversations. Some things are still worthy enough to be said face-to-face or at least voice-to-voice. Texting can be a fun communication tool, but I'd never use it as a serious communication tool. I guess I'm just not there yet.

1. DDE profile image46

''Some things are still worthy enough to be said face-to-face or at least voice-to-voice.'' That is exactly what I mean face-to-face is still better understood. Thank you.

4. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Texting is just a modern way of paging someone. Instead of simply leaving your phone number you send them a quick note. "Meet me at blah blah for drinks at 5PM" or "I love you! Have a great day!"
    There is nothing wrong with those kinds of exchanges if one is busy but wants to let the other person know they're thinking about them even if they don't have time have a full conversation.
    The problem with texting is for some people it's the only way they communicate or prefer to communicate.  If two people aren't on the same page then there is a lot of room for error when it comes to intentions.
    When you communicate in person or even on the phone you can hear the inflection in one's voice to tell you if they're joking or being sarcastic. The same statements in a text may cause hurt feelings and sometimes adding LOL! is not enough.
    In other situations some people text because they don't want to talk to people or hear them respond to what they have to say. It's a great way to control what takes place. They can send you a text and then turn their phone off.
    Others have been known to end relationships via text.
    Texting and emails were meant to compliment phone and in person communication not to replace them. One man's opinion! :-)

1. DDE profile image46

I am not against texting I  have noticed that texting has become the main focus and this has caused poor communication and disconnection between loved ones. Thank you

5. sassypiehole profile image70
    sassypieholeposted 9 years ago

I don't know if I'd call it disrespectful... But it certainly isn't the best method of communication. The idea of a boy "texting" a girl to ask them out on a date is infuriating to me. Kids are getting lazy and technology has made it easy for them to do. So maybe I'd call it "LAZY" instead of disrespectful.

1. DDE profile image46

Well said. ''So maybe I'd call it "LAZY" instead of disrespectful.'' Thank you

6. profile image0
    jonaiveposted 9 years ago

I don't really think it's disrespectful. But yes, I agree that talking face to face is better. Nothing beats a good old fashioned talk while strolling.

1. DDE profile image46

Thank you I think texting  is overused

7. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

Texting for me is the quickest method to communicate something you want to say to someone. I agree that face to face communication is being faced out by emails and texting but it also depends when to use it and who to use it. I send text messages to my family abroad like if I send my family some money, it is easier for me and quicker to get the message across. I only use text when necessary, I don't text all the time. But I still like the face to face conversations with another person. It is really sad because people tend to isolate themselves with all these modern technologies like mobile phones, ipads, T.V's, and computers.

1. DDE profile image46

''It is really sad because people tend to isolate themselves with all these modern technologies like mobile phones, ipads, T.V's, and computers.'' Thank you

8. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

I love to text certain people. However, sometimes folks take this opportunity to bring up controversial issues that would not happen in face to face conversations. You can also misinterpret texts. It is not disrespectful to text, but these issues can create bad feelings. I used to text 75% more than I do now. One advantage is that it is a quick way to contact someone.rather than getting involved in a long phone conversation. Texting is here to stay.

1. DDE profile image46

Thank you  in certain situations you have to deal with texting I feel it has become  too much

9. profile image0
    SandCastlesposted 9 years ago

I don't think so if works for the people participating. I think it is a bit strange to text someone if they are sitting right beside you unless the people want to have a private conversation because there are other people around or if someone has laryngitis or something. I think some people are put off by written communication and think it is unprofessional. They feel face to face communication is the only worthwhile form. Some people become incensed if you give them a little note. Sometimes people do this on purpose to prevent someone from communicating, especially if they aren't as comfortable talking things out (ie: they might find it easier to express their feelings in writing before talking to someone). I think all forms of communication are valid, be it art, drawing, singing, writing, speaking, etc.  Good question.

10. Jarvis Miller profile image59
    Jarvis Millerposted 6 years ago

Texting is ok but, people today spend more time texting than look where there going. Is that text more important than driving or walk across the without looking both ways? It is better to converse face to face.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)