jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Have cell phones made watches obsolete?

1. Billrrrr profile image82
    Billrrrrposted 6 years ago

Have cell phones made watches obsolete?

2. jean2011 profile image78
    jean2011posted 6 years ago

I don't think so. I still rely so much on my watch to provide me with the time. Good question!

3. proudmamma profile image77
    proudmammaposted 6 years ago

I don't believe it's made watches obsolete. However, I do believe it has made perrsonal address/phone books obsolete. It has also made the need to memorize phone numbers. In most cases, when you ask someone for a phone number most will say 'give me a second, let me check my cell'.

4. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 6 years ago

Yes, atleast with respect to myself. I've stopped wearing watches for seven years now and have not felt much difference - either I check with my Cell (while on move) or with my laptop .......

5. dilipchandra12 profile image82
    dilipchandra12posted 6 years ago

Good question but i don't think so. I never hold my mobile in my hand all the time. so to check the time i always need my watch.

6. arksys profile image89
    arksysposted 6 years ago

It made watches redundant ... i don't think watches will ever be obsolete.

7. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

Not for me.....I never use a cell phone but would be lost without my watch.

8. wychic profile image91
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I'm glad to see some of the answers here, and know that in my area, at least, they're certainly not obsolete. I sell one-of-a-kind beaded micro-macrame watches, and they still sell -- somewhere along the way, someone is wearing them smile. Most of the people I sell to locally are 40+, but even some of the younger generation will go for a stylish watch rather than carry the cell phone with them. For myself, I often "forget" my phone at home -- I don't feel the need to answer it, so if I don't feel like talking then my watch is all I have to tell time.

9. supplies expert profile image61
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

I think watches are becoming more of a article of clothing than an useful part of someone's day. Many people buy watches to just have on or just wear because it matches their outfit. I have a few friends, both guys and girls, who wear watches and when I ask them what time it is, they still undoubtedly turn to their cell phones. It cracks me up because it just shows how unnecessary their watches are.

10. vinner profile image77
    vinnerposted 6 years ago

Almost is the right answer. You can see this if you watch the hand of modern youngsters. They are not wearing watches, but they have latest model mobiles in their hand

11. catsimmons profile image83
    catsimmonsposted 6 years ago

I certainly don't wear a watch anymore because I have a cell-phone, but I would wear a waterproof watch when swimming...

working