jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why are people wary of social media?

1. MazioCreate profile image73
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

Why are people wary of social media?

2. SylviaSky profile image94
    SylviaSkyposted 6 years ago

They are wary because social media collect, and in some cases declare full ownership of, all material that users place online. Some of this material is sensitive and can be used for crime. Some material is thoughtlessly placed on social media, where even if deleted it persists in caches where potential employers or others can view it and judge the user. Social media can also be abused to defame or bully people and promote worthless things or events. It can also be boring and a time-waster. If you want a good scare, go to spokeo.com and see everything it's collected from social media about YOU. Although there are good things about social media, like the rest of the Internet it can also a major time-waster.

3. whoisbid profile image75
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

Social media has always been on the internet since the beginning. It took the form of forums and blogs. Now a few big boys want to take that away from everyone and minimize the power of individual websites and blogs so they get a few programmers together and a large stack of cash and make some applications and "presto" you now have "social media" which is nothing more than a program/s running on servers.
    In the end the internet becomes two websites 1. Google 2. Facebook
    Whatever happened to owning your own website? This is the them of my website too.

4. supplies expert profile image61
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

I understand SylivaSky's points and how that social media's such as Facebook collect and store your info forever. But, if you think about it, you're the one who puts it out there. Never write anything or post anything that you don't want the whole world to see. Unfortunately that's the world we live in nowadays, so I just hope everyone is smart enough for that.