What kind of maintenance I need to make sure my PC is tuned-up for peak performance and virus free?
This is the 2nd time this year my computer crashed, what kind of maintenance I need to make sure my computer is tuned-up for peak performance and virus free?
there are a lot of things you can do to speed up your computer and keep it fast. The basics are:
1. Have an upated antivirus (I use Microsoft Security Essentials - it has good detection rates and is light and fast)
2. Clean up temporary files and other junk once a week
3. Defragment your hard drive once a month
4. Delete all useless items from the Windows startup list
Also check out my hubs - I've written quite a few about PC tuneup.
Hope this helps.
For better performance, first clean the desktop.
1. Do not store files in the desktop. Also partition the hard disk into minimum of 3. So that system files can be stored in C drive, data and media files can be stored in D and E drive.
2. Whenever using external storage like pendrive, check for virus and then access it. Otherwise transmitting virus from external device to computer happen and it will affects the whole.
3. Do not store unwanted files in the computer. Once in three days, clean the system, defragment and delete the temporary files by
click START, Click RUN and type %temp%.
It will display all the temporary files. Delete and also from Recycle bin.
4. Antivirus is a must. So install antivirus which is licensed. Avoid using trial version as it will run or scan but it will not delete the files. So use proper antivirus and scan once in two days. Also update the antivirus database so that it will scan for new virus.
5. Keep the computer dust free. As the hard disk is very sensitive, dust will affect the hard disk.
6. Check for RAM capacity and have a minimum of 1 GB RAM. When facing any beep sound, remove the RAM and clean it with a eraser and place it again.
These are some basic things which we can do it our own and it help to keep the computer for good performance
I'm not a computer guru but I have an Acer laptop I have been using for five years and here is how I keep it in tip top shape. Instead of buying some expense anti-virus go to www.avira.com and download their free anti-virus software. Another free one is avast they both do a good job. Once its installed scan your computer with it.
After you have done the anti-virus go to www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download. Download and install this cleaner and follow the instruction to do the cleaning. This cleaner will clean your computer better than the disk cleaner that came with it.
Now I use the c cleaner at least once a day. It keeps all temporary internet files cleaned up. Temp files are one big reason for a slow computer. Use it as often as needed. The more you surf, play video and audio the more you need to clean things up.
Set you computer to do an automatic defrag once a week too. That way you do not have to worry about doing it yourself. If you can't let me know and I will try to help you set it up. If your computer won't do an auto defrag (which is more than likely not the case) then you must defrag it yourself.
These are very simple things to do and they will keep your computer operating in top form.
by Nell Rose 6 years ago
How can I get my computer to speed up as it seems to be getting slower and slowerI really need a simple and quick explanation that I can use quickly as I am not getting into my pc for at least an hour, thanks!
by technocrates 4 years ago
Any one please tell me about any free antivirus software, My computer is infected from lots of viruses...
by yshashikant 11 months ago
Which is the best free antivirus software?I have tried a lot of free antivirus available today in the market and I like avast. Because of its frequent short updates and the easy to use user interface. What do you prefer to use and why?
by Joan Whetzel 5 years ago
What kind of "to do" lists do you make?What do you put on your "to do" list? Do you put deadlines? Or do you simply scratch things off when you are done?
by alexandriaruthk 6 years ago
Do you use any of these two antivirus; Google Pack and AVG Free, which one is better?The two free anti-virus and anti-spyware, which one will you recommend and which is far better? Explain.
by Cindy Murdoch 6 years ago
How do I delete temporary files, cookies, etc. on Firefox?I have recently started using Firefox and cannot figure out where to click to delete these files to keep things cleaned up. Can someone please help?I know on explorer I would click on the gear, but I can't figure this one out.
|HubPages Device ID|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Google Analytics|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel|
|Google Hosted Libraries|
|Google AdSense Host API|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels|
|Author Google Analytics|
|Amazon Tracking Pixel|