jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think Facebook is a waste of time?

1. Vapid Maven profile image60
    Vapid Mavenposted 6 years ago

Do you think Facebook is a waste of time?

Do you think it takes away from having a "Real" social like keeping up with friends and family the old fashion way (by phone or actually spending real time with them) or do you think it just enhances the social experience? Pros Cons?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think it has its place, allowing you to reconnect with people you've lost touch with.  What I don't get the the people that post everything they do by mobile phone.

Opened a can of olives, yum.  or Just turned on the TV.  Stuff like that.  I just don't have the ego to assume anyone would be interested in each and everything I do during the day.

I do think that it may hinder us from having a real relationship with friends.  I can't see it as enhancing the social experience--I think it dilutes it, giving us the false impression we have friends and are interacting when really we aren't.

good question - what's your take on it?

3. Vapid Maven profile image60
    Vapid Mavenposted 6 years ago

I kind of think along the same lines as you duffmom. It seems to be more social entertainment than anything which is a bit disturbing to me.

Love your comment about not having the ego to assume people would be interested in what you do each and every day. I feel the same way. I mean it was fun for awhile but now I think  I really don't need to know where you are at (check ins) all the time and I don't need to see a photo of the pork chops you just cooked for dinner.

Finding old friends was great but I also learned that some old friends just don't need to found or re-connected with.

All in all I think it's a waste of time and yes I think it does give people the false impression of friendship.

4. LisaKoski profile image94
    LisaKoskiposted 6 years ago

I don't use Facebook as much as I used to because, like duffsmom and Vapid Mavin say, most people use it to feed their ego and it's really not the best way to maintain a real relationship with friends. Still, I'm able to use it to keep up with my family members and friends who live out of state or in other countries and keep in contact with them much easier than I did before. It's much more fun to see pictures and hear their stories via Facebook instead of hearing it over the phone or reading a text about it.

I think it's all about how you actually use it. If you see it as a way of showing off every second of your existence then it's just a way to create a false reality to impress viewers. If you really want to keep in touch with those who've moved far away then it can be useful to keep up with them and actually see what they've been doing since they've been gone. I think it's a tool that can either be abused or can actually be useful.

5. prettylittlewhims profile image61
    prettylittlewhimsposted 6 years ago

I think it enhances communication. The best way is by creating groups:D one group for close friends and one group for family and relatives and you can post private updates and invites there. It adds intimacy:)

I don't care for other people's updates nowadays. I just look at the groups and look at updates of people I really care about. And it saves time:)

6. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 6 years ago

No. I am able to keep in touch with family and friends a lot more easily. FB also allows me to keep readers of my website and blog up to date without the need for RSS, etc. It also helps me keep an eye on what is going on here at HP while I am away from home.

7. mediawizard profile image67
    mediawizardposted 6 years ago

Yup.  Totally, complete waste of time and of life.

8. lukeuk profile image72
    lukeukposted 6 years ago

Yes I do. I have never used it. People now think that being social is going on line and are loosing touch with what is really socializing because on line socializing gives the user a false sense of reality.

9. MakinBacon profile image82
    MakinBaconposted 6 years ago

It is a total waste of time, as I have no need to connect with my family in that way, as I can pick up the phone communicate if I choose.

As for digital benefits, having pictures of children or grandchildren placed up there to enjoy is great, as it allows for an almost unlimited number.

For business it's close to being useless.

10. Zaharamontez7118 profile image61
    Zaharamontez7118posted 14 months ago

Its about bedtime but had to take the time to say hell yes! Its a sad sad burden to legitimate social relationships. I refuse to even have the app. If you need me call me. Chances are im missing whats getting sent to that fb inbox anyway smile