Can someone explain the point of Facebook?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. AngelTrader profile image61
    AngelTraderposted 13 years ago

Can someone explain the point of Facebook?

2. Sesshoumaru2st profile image60
    Sesshoumaru2stposted 13 years ago

Personal- a great place to find people and existing friends.It's also a place to play games with the online community.You can comment on people's profile and whatever.

Business/websites-good for getting notice.I heard 1 like means at least 20 viewers,but that's just speculation.You can connect with other business gurus and exchange business ideas and form stronger connection fan based and business wise.

What is facebook not good for?
    Sharing your secrets and naked pictures;that's a really bad idea.

3. Vanessa Anderson profile image61
    Vanessa Andersonposted 13 years ago

For me, the point of FaceBook is to keep up with family and friends.  From a family point of view, my immediate family are the only ones that moved out of state, so we're not near the rest of the family and since we all have FaceBook, it's easy to keep in touch and share pictures and such.  From a friends point of view, it's easy to also keep in touch with childhood and high school friends that have all moved away.

4. lostdogrwd profile image59
    lostdogrwdposted 13 years ago

American people have turn to cowards and looking for protection not knowing that safety is just an illusion. people just don't go out to meet people anymore. they build up fake fantasy and lives on line and have friend on line that THEY WILL NEVER MEET. there new friend is now a damn computer

5. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 13 years ago

For me it's an easy way to keep up with friends and family as well as other connections on the fly.  I resisted the Facebook for a long time as well - but I find it really helps me with my writing and other projects.  I share/post my articles, hubs, web designs etc. on Facebook and people share them.  For example one hub I wrote has had over 480 page views in 4 days - most of that came from facebook friends who really liked it and shared it with their friends who also shared it etc. 

I have connections all over the country and it's a great way to keep up with what everyone is up to as well smile People post pics and talk about what's going on.  I like it.

6. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 13 years ago

I have my facebook is for the purpose of friends to find me. I do have friends that had lost contact and having the facebook, I am hoping to have them finding me.

It is always good to reach those I had lost my contacts and hoping that they will be able to find me here.

7. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5229038_f260.jpg

Hi ! As we are traveling around Australia Facebook is great for keeping in touch with a daughter as well as friends we make along the way !
    We can show them photos easily as well as get more viewers for our hubs !

8. truthfornow profile image69
    truthfornowposted 13 years ago

Just for fun, to talk about stuff you like with other people.

9. zob2zob profile image69
    zob2zobposted 13 years ago

For me it is the bane of my life as my children are featured on certain families photo albums (see hub).
    But for people who think about the implications and respect the privacy of other then I feel it cannot harm, but its those who have a thousand 'friends' knowing less than 15% personally who put people most at risk.

Having read answers on here, most seem to use it for 'in house' reasons, strictly family and close friends, which is great and pure purpose, probably for what it was originally intended for.

More monitoring required and now facial recognition, I am sorry, I though one had to have permission to take a photo let alone display one but to tag it and allow it to pick out more photos of you on other facebook holders, sounds dodgy to me!!

10. Rastamermaid profile image67
    Rastamermaidposted 13 years ago

Facebook was started for the college crowd,parties,meetup whatever. As they matured and moved on it became a great tool to network for companies with these new graduates,and so on and so on that now it's used by everyone.

Even though there is an age restrictions it's online so you'll have your friend's kids trying to friend you or a local company trying to get you to like their page.

There are many games that areplayed by millions of people,there is always a new one starting up,from Mafia Wars to Farmville and whatever the new app is.

You can make a page for your home based business and advertise your business and give info on where you are and what you are doing.

It's good to keep up with family and friends,it's good to promote your business or your product.

11. Seeker7 profile image79
    Seeker7posted 13 years ago

Apart from keeping in touch with family and  friends all the other stuff on facebook is a mystery to me. I can spend a while on facebook once I'm there. I don't do much - I'm just trying to figure out what all the other gadgets, quizzes, 'send a rose' thingys etc are all for? Having said this, it's a bit easier to understand than Twitter.

12. luvs2write profile image60
    luvs2writeposted 13 years ago

It was supposed to be about networking, but it some ways it has turned into a free-for-all that is causing chaos

13. Naomi's Banner profile image72
    Naomi's Bannerposted 13 years ago

The ability to sit in your home and have the biggest social gathering ever... the ability to find a group of people to vent to when you are unhappy...the place to share your good, bad, fun, happy, accomplishments and get many accolades at the same place.  An easy way to keep in touch with people you otherwise would not have the time to go see.  All this and a whole lot more.  The crazy thing about Facebook is grown people get caught up in playing mindless games and if they are not careful they lose a large part of their life playing games that get you nowhere.  Anyway,  Facebook is kiind of fun, useful if you need to advertise, and addictive so be careful.

14. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 13 years ago

I really do not know.  I am a 56 year old dinosaur who have recently became very familiar with the computer.   I love computers.  I have four of them.

15. Jason Oleinik profile image64
    Jason Oleinikposted 13 years ago

Bottom line, Facebook is a way to:

1) Stay connected with people you may easily lose touch with and

2) Feel more important

16. sfpodiatrist profile image61
    sfpodiatristposted 12 years ago

Facebook satisfies the human species need to be social creatures.  This need is biologically hard-wired in our DNA and emerged over millions of years of evolution as an advantageous trait.  Over time, those humans that exhibited a tendency to be social, gained advantage over those that did not and therefore survived to pass along that tendency to future generations.  The humans that exhibited  "unsocial" behavior were less successful at passing along their genes.  A common explanation for why being social was an advantageous trait is that it allowed those human to learn more about their environment. They learned, for example, that a certain member of the tribe was dangerous and represented a threat and would therefore avoid him. Or perhaps they might learn that a certain plant was poisonous and would therefore, avoid eating it.  The social humans passed this information back and forth and were able to avoid dangerous situations, whereas the unsocial humans more frequently encountered life threatening situations which reduced the probability of their genes getting passed down.

Facebook is a modern day proxy for the type of social interaction our ancestors engaged in.  It's an electronic form of gossip and it's very likely that we feel the exact same thing when we read about the comings and goings of a Facebook connection, that our ancestors felt when they learned about the experiences of another tribe member.  And that's the point of Facebook.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)