jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Why do so many people use Facebook?

1. SimeyC profile image96
    SimeyCposted 6 years ago

Why do so many people use Facebook?

Facebook is one of the sites that dominate our everyday lives - what elements of Facebook make it so addictive?

2. MikeSyrSutton profile image67
    MikeSyrSuttonposted 6 years ago

Since so many do, it is easy to find people and info. It just happens to be the biggest of them all.

3. profile image0
    Ronin2012posted 6 years ago

People use facebook because they are interested in others lives more than their ow...... :-D.

4. chenna31 profile image59
    chenna31posted 6 years ago

Facebook provides everyone a easy platform to share stuff. It is a place where you are happy most of the time . If you observe closely there is only like button and no dislike !! People who dont have friends in real life have over 500 to 600 friends on facebook . It allows you to stalk people , block the ones you dont like and stuff like that .

1. Lor's Stories profile image60
      Lor's Storiesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So you think the more friends the better. Or not. Who wants 600 friends?
      Not me

5. Blond Logic profile image97
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

I used it for a short time but it became like a soap opera. I don't want to know all the c**p going on in people's lives. For me, it was too invasive. I like my privacy. I tell my friends and family to just email me.

1. Lor's Stories profile image60
      Lor's Storiesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Half the time people just show gruesome images of people or children.
      I have two family members and two close friends. It is a place where I thought one could share good things. Now any thing goes.

6. kwade tweeling profile image92
    kwade tweelingposted 6 years ago

I started to use Facebook because most of the people I know have an account. It is the most accepted social platform available. The likelihood of contacting friends is higher than the competitors. It is also the easiest one to use that has enough support to stay afloat.

The addiction, I suspect, stems from two major sources:

1. The ease with which you can post a message your friends can see. We feel, once we have made a post, that our friends have been sent a personal message. In fact, this feels just as personal when we do it, but is really less personal. This lack of direct contact confuses our social requirements and we lose touch with what others want from us.

2. And then we have the games. The games give an illusion that you are participating in a large social game (like a board game on a grand scale). What they really do is give immediate rewards for clicking on things and the more often you return, the more often you are rewarded. This sensation of instant gratification, mixed with the illusion that you are interacting with friends makes these games feel important. Partly because it helps us feel like we are accomplishing something. Partly because it is easy to do.

We are creatures of habit. When we find something we like to use, even if it is inferior to other similar products, we don't like to change.

The end result to all of this is that we use what we know works for us. Much like Windows, there are alternatives, and many people will argue superiority. But until we can get the people we want sharing in the experience, it is hard to justify the change.

7. mrslagibb profile image44
    mrslagibbposted 6 years ago

I use facebook quite a lot. It is a huge social networking platform, that millions of people from all over the world have joined in. I agree, it can get quite crazy with some people using FB to take advantage of others, by manipulative means.  On whole I have found it quite useful and it has put me in touch with family around the world. It has it uses, but you need to be careful, and make sure your account is secure from those perpetrators

8. profile image0
    Corolla98posted 4 years ago

Many people use Facebook to stay in contact with their friends and family. I've found family members that I haven't seen in years. It's addictive because you have to keep with many of your friends.