jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Under certain conditions, would walkie-talkies be better than cell phones?

1. badegg profile image77
    badeggposted 5 years ago

Under certain conditions, would walkie-talkies be better than cell phones?

When managing a large piece of property (100+ acres of wooded land), would walkie-talkies be better to use than cell phones to stay in touch with others?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

We only have 5 acres but use them when my husband is outside if he needs something or vice versa.  Very handy. I think they would work well if the land is flat and there are no interferences.  No privacy though.  We had ours on and I buzzed my husband to ask what he wanted and it wasn't him - it was someone else on the band.

3. Craig Suits profile image75
    Craig Suitsposted 5 years ago

Absolutly! Good, modern day walkie talkies use UHF frequencies not citizens band and operate from device to device so not only is your reception clear as a bell they don't rely on repeater towers to work as with cell phones.
    A good high watt radio can reach 20 miles or better but area and transmission conditions make all the difference
    Both communication forms have their problems but for relativly short range commnications, 30 or 40 dollars will get you a really nice set of walkie talkies that you will use when a cell phone is not practical or working.

4. petersavage profile image59
    petersavageposted 5 years ago

UHF radios would be much better for your situation. A 30KM range is possible.

5. Bmorton24 profile image60
    Bmorton24posted 5 years ago

I believe so because my hubby takes like forever to text or answer back..i'd rather bug him by saying 'huh' 'say' and similar phrases until i get my answer :]

6. BatesvilleBoy profile image59
    BatesvilleBoyposted 5 years ago

Absolutely, and if a vehicle is used in the property management, a high power mobile UHF radio with a mobile antenna with significant gain could be just the ticket to communicate with 'the base'.  For example, in the US, a mobile radio of up to 50 watts can be used on certain channels in the GMRS band.  This should be all the power you would need, even over a 100 acre area.

working