jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Do you find yourself using the Hubpages search engine as a top Google replacemen

1. againsttheodds profile image79
    againsttheoddsposted 5 years ago

Do you find yourself using the Hubpages search engine as a top Google replacement or alternative?

When looking for quality content regarding a specific issue that I need to research I find myself using the Hubpages search engine feature to find articles that can address the topic.  For many things, it has now become a consistent Google replacement and this is because I more trust the quality and consistent research of the writers here.  It opens the question as to what is a search engine, but I also like the fact that I am giving a community member another page impression and rating or comment.  The best search engine will deliver what you are looking for and increasingly this is hubs.

2. tillsontitan profile image88
    tillsontitanposted 5 years ago

Actually I do.  I know so many good people who write great articles why wouldn't I search here first?  Lots of good recipes and honest information.  I agree with you, I'd rather give my hub friends the page impression and of course always add a comment and rate their hub as well.  I know they do the same for me.  As long as we keep each other going the content on hub pages will continue to grow and who knows maybe one day it'll give Google a run for its money!

3. Larry Fields profile image78
    Larry Fieldsposted 5 years ago

For those of us who are not ready to wean ourselves off Google, here's an alternative. On your Google search, type in: site:hubpages.com before your search terms. This will guarantee that all of the search results are from Hubpages.

againsttheoddsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Despite its outlandish name, the DuckDuckGo.com search engine seems to be getting quite a sizable share of visitors.  I try to incorporate it into my searching when feasible to maintain variety.

4. againsttheodds profile image79
    againsttheoddsposted 5 years ago

That is a good tip.  It is also a good way to check the content that the Google search engine has cached for your domain or url.  So if you use the site: operator with your subdomain then all of Google's indexed pages will appear.  That is great for seo.  What is a search engine? I'm not saying that Hubpages is a full on Google replacement, but that for some things it is really nice to find and maybe contribute (through comments) to work done here.  For academic purposes and scholarly research I am sure that this would not be the best search engine to cite, but then again, it isn't really meant to be a search engine anyway.  Search engine tools are blurring the line though, and it is probably a good thing.  Google is such a giant that it just seems like the day Google fails the Earth has probably incurred a nuclear strike or some such.  I am trying to get better at diversifying my search habits to channel through some of the alternative best search engines, but I must admit that it is a hard habit to break.

5. profile image0
    RobSchneiderposted 5 years ago

Interesting question. I still rely on Google a lot, but I also use hubpages and similar sites occasionally. If it's something important, though, I'm wary of them, because many articles are opinion pieces and not backed up by references. I don't care how well they're written because I'm not going to be plagiarising - I'm just looking for information.

againsttheoddsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree that other alternatives exist for scholarly search engine needs.  But, with the Google search engine holding such a dominate market position, imagine if everyone just used a Google replacement even if for only 1 or 2 searches a day.

6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I'm new to Hubpages and have been mostly using Ask as my search engine. What I'm learning though is that there are quite a few things I can find easier here by searching the hubs, questions, and forums. I've never looked it up, but I bet there are many thousands of hubs. Even with the huge number, I using a keyword in the search box seems to pinpoint exactly what I need.