jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What are the main differences between Apple computers and PCs?

1. nmdonders profile image85
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

What are the main differences between Apple computers and PCs?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

The primary difference between Apple and other manufacturers is that Macs are the only computers that natively use Mac OS X. OS X is based on an operating system called BSD, and it features a completely different user interface and set of standard applications than Windows.

3. BlissfulWriter profile image69
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

Main difference is the operating system.  You can get either one and will soon get to become familiar with whichever one you get.  But still more people are using PCs than Macs.  But Macs are catching up.

Apple computers run Mac operating system that are designed by a company named Apple in California.  Founded by the late Steve Jobs.

PC computers run the Windows Operating system which is a different operating system that is designed by a company named Microsoft headquartered in Washington and founded by Bill Gates.

4. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 5 years ago

In the start it was all about the processor architectures used: RISC & CISC. Both architectures have exponentially advanced so the main difference today lies in the operating systems.

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

With an Apple Computer, you are dealing with one vendor. I never owned an Apple, but I am not certain you can change out video cards or sound cards or add extra memory.

Even if you can, you are going to be limited in your choices.

There are plenty of programs to use on an Apple, but not as many as a PC.

Apple are good computers. They cost more and differences in the operating system has never been enough for me to change. I am using a Dell Percision that is about 10 years old. I am running Windows 7. It has eight megs of ram and a video card that supports dual monitors. I do want to change my hard drive, because it and the power supply are the two parts most likely to fail. Changing a power supply is easy. Cloning your existing hard drive to another disk and then replacing it in the machine is a little trickier, but doable.

The one thing in Apple's favor is that when you buy a new one, you just turn it own and it starts. A new PC requires a series of Set Up steps.

6. iefox5 profile image57
    iefox5posted 5 years ago

Specifications don't differ many. The difference is operating system.