jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

How deep will Google be into our lives 10 years from now?

1. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 5 years ago

How deep will Google be into our lives 10 years from now?

After learning that Google is behind the new automated, driver less cars I started to think, what would be the benefit to Google.  It was obvious that since they earn the bulk of their revenue from advertising, it only makes sense that they produce technology that will know where you are every moment of the day.  This was they can serve you adds based on your behavior.  Stop at a gas station and Google will know and can offer a coupon for a competitor across the street or a discount from the pizza place next door.  It's coming to a town near you soon.

2. Chad Thiele profile image72
    Chad Thieleposted 5 years ago

It's not just Google... Facebook, Apple and other smaller companies are also trying to develop technologies that will be able to help make your life easier and hopefully more enjoyable.

However, privacy experts are worried. Some people don't like the idea of getting customized ads similar to those in the movie "Minority Report."

More importantly, people are worried that the government or some other organization will start to use this technology to control our every move.

Personally, I welcome the advertising side of it. However, I'm a marketer, so I'm biased. The government control part and the loss of privacy does concern me.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next 40 or so years. This, by the way is a topic that I have been and plan to continue blogging about here and on my blog (1911mainstreet.com). In fact, my next hub talks about technology and privacy.

livewithrichardposted 5 years agoin reply to this

While privacy is my biggest concern, as a consumer I would love to have instant access to the ads/deals that can be served to me. As a marketer, I welcome having access to a growing marketplace.  If only there is companion tech that can turn it off.

3. sradie profile image73
    sradieposted 5 years ago

Deep enough that Google will be able to charge various rates to buy-your-way-out when people realize they are selling this information to the highest bidder. Beware though, the rates will be pretty high by then. I can envision a rate chart for different levels of buy out.
    Total Buyout = $1,000,000
    Delete Medical Records Only, = $275,000
    Delete e-Mail Addresses Only = $433, 000
    Delete Hacked Passwords Only = $639,000
    Remove Obscene Pictures Of You = $956, 000
    Remove Ancestry Files = $415, 000
    Remove Damaging References To You =$287,000
    Delete Provocative Website Visit Information = $321,000
    There could be a whole Cafe List of records they could sell to have removed. And to keep them off, each would require a monthly Subscription Fee or a Discounted Annual Fee. C'mon man you know how this stuff works.

I'm sure some genius will come along and invent some tech that can somehow hide you from the search engines.  But then how much will that cost us.

2. sradie profile image73
      sradieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's the beauty of the free market system, everybody gets a shot. Now if the government will just let it work like it should, things will be fine.

4. Weekend Reader profile image84
    Weekend Readerposted 5 years ago

Ten years? About a fifty percent chance Google, as we know it, won't exist. Spinoffs and Google-originated firms probably will. I suspect that something else, perhaps even worse, will be developed in the next decade. No, I can't tell you which corporation it will be, as I also suspect the internet will undergo a major evolution too.

The younger members of society don't place a premium on privacy. They feel lost and disconnected if they aren't hearing from their peers at all hours of the day. They want convenience and instant gratification. (Broad generalities are guaranteed to be less than 100% accurate, and I apologize to anyone under 30 who doesn't fit the described mold.) Google is not a threat, when it gives you what you want when you want it.

Good points about the younger generations though I don't agree about your timeline of existence for Google.  Google does not spinoff, it consumes and assimilates others that my compete.  The biggest battle will be between Google and Apple.

5. BeyondGS profile image82
    BeyondGSposted 5 years ago

I see them still being around in 10 years being just as strong or more. Google has been around a long time anyway and the fact that Microsoft has tried (and so far not even close to Google) but Google is still going strong says volumes. Anything is possible, but if they continue to expand like they have been (Android phones, Maps, Google+ etc.) they should still be a powerhouse in 10 years.

They just celebrated their 14th anniversary yesterday and I'm sure they will be here to celebrate their 25th when it comes.

working