jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How to find a safe domain name?

1. letterme profile image77
    lettermeposted 5 years ago

How to find a safe domain name?

I searched for a particular domain name and found that its .com version was listed as a premium domain name. I don't want to buy such a name, given that I don't have that much money. However the .net version of the same domain name was available for about $12.  If I buy this $12 .net domain name, can someone buying that premium .com version sue me for some reason, like trade mark infringement? As far as I know the name does not concern any trade marks.

2. Michele Travis profile image71
    Michele Travisposted 5 years ago

No, no one can sue you.   It is legal to buy the .net name because it is legal to sell the .net name.  It is not legal to copy   anybody else's domain.  But then name that you buy is legal.

3. MSLewis profile image60
    MSLewisposted 5 years ago

If a domain is listed as available then there is no legal issue with buying it. Major .coms usually buy up almost every similar name for their company. For example, Facebook bought everything from facebook.com to facebook.net to facebooksucks.com. This is to discourage people using a popular website's name to generate trafic.

The aboslute worst thing that can hapen is that the premium .com would get bought, become successful, and try to hit you with a cease and desist letter. In that case you could seek legal counsel and fight it, or contact the company and offer to sell your .net domain (selling domains is a huge business in and of itself).

I know it's a lot of information, but hopefully this helps. In short, if you don't mind a .net and the name you want is available, go for it!

1. letterme profile image77
      lettermeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much Michele and Lewis. smile

working