jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Can I lose my domain name?

1. nayaz1625 profile image78
    nayaz1625posted 5 years ago

Can I lose my domain name?

If I buy a domain name, do I run the risk of loosing it when it expires? Do I have to compete with others to get it again every year?

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Set it up for autorenewal or yes indeed you can lose it if you let it expire.  Typically there is a grace period with most companies, but it isn't long.  I'd set it up for auto-renewal just to be on the safe side.

nayaz1625posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Christin. But then when do I renew: before expiry date or after? Can I also renew with a different company other than from the one I initially bought it?

2. ChristinS profile image97
      ChristinSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would renew before it expires. If you choose a different company you'll have to check into their fees/procedures for domain transfer

3. nayaz1625 profile image78

Ok thanks a lot Christin

4. Stachart profile image78
      Stachartposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You may wait for domain expiration to use another registrar, it is a risk because anyone can get it before you! Or you can pay transfer fee and transfer domain from a registrar to another!

3. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Well, auto renew if you register the domain yourself like using namecheap, godaddy, etc. If not then you can ask whoever is hosting your domain to allow you access to the registrar.

Thanks edhan

4. Nathan Mustoe profile image39
    Nathan Mustoeposted 5 years ago

Your registrar will notify you about 60 days prior to the expiry date.
    Then about 7 day.

If you sent it to auto renewal when registered then if your payment details are still the same it will be save.

Thanks Nathan

5. vutto profile image61
    vuttoposted 5 years ago

yes you have to renew the domain on every year. otherwise you may lost the domain, after expiration.

Thank you Vutto

6. Stachart profile image78
    Stachartposted 5 years ago

I did have a domain! It expired and i did not have money to renew it! First they asked more than $30 fee as late fees to restore it after 30 days expiration, then the domain was available for any user to be purchased. The registrar will park it and earn with it if there are no interested buyer!
    Just to say:
    - You have the right to renew your domain every year!
    -You will have a delay to renew it after expiration
    -Your domain will be available online if you did not take any action regarding it!

7. profile image56
    pager123posted 4 years ago

You need not worry about loosing your domain name as you can renew them before the expiry date and it becomes your domain again...
    I have a website of my own which was created with the help of http://www.thewebpole.com/domains/domai … _id=456994  where numerous services are offered...

working