jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why should I bother with a contract cell phone?

1. Marc Rohde profile image71
    Marc Rohdeposted 5 years ago

Why should I bother with a contract cell phone?

My cell contract will be up soon and looking at the monthly options they appear to be priced better than my 2 year agreements were.  Other than not having the latest and greatest cell phone (iPhone 5, Galexy S3, etc) why should I bother with a contract with the big carriers when I can get a non-contract phone on the same networks?  I'm looking for a counter argument for going with a Verizon, Sprint, AT&T or carrier of your choice.

2. Jake4102 profile image85
    Jake4102posted 5 years ago

I think the only reason to go with a contract, and you already said this yourself, is to get discounted new fancy phones. However, one other reason may be is that if you know you are going to be with that carrier for a while, and they are offering some sort of sign up deal, then maybe that would be a better deal and you will be locked in with that system. I know when I got my new contract, I was locked in with double the data for the cost of normal data rates. I still have this deal. But other than discounted new phones or a great service deal, there isn't much of a reason to contract up.

1. Marc Rohde profile image71
      Marc Rohdeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great feedback!  I have had contract for years and never seriouly looked at the monthly options until recently and was supprised that one carrier actually dropped the monthly bill by up to $15 for on-time payments over 6 months.

3. manthy profile image74
    manthyposted 5 years ago

I think it's always a good idea to have a contract, just to get the new smartphones, I would recommend Wal-Marts Smart Talk it is unlimited everything for $30 a month.
    Have a great week Marc

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

You can get the lastest phones now with no contract. However you would still be going through one of the major companies. All of the ones you named have no contract with the latest phones.