jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What do you know about the dangers of social media?

1. abbykorinnelee profile image73
    abbykorinneleeposted 5 years ago

What do you know about the dangers of social media?

We are aware of the positive aspects of social media but many people are not as aware as they realize of the dangers, to themselves and to minors especially.  Many new stories in the news have highlights dangers in social media and I have been doing research to educate myself and spread awareness to other parents.  What dangers are out there? How is social media used for criminal activity? Do you have specific examples?  What is the most sig growing problem? How can social media negatively affect someone' slife?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7435932_f260.jpg

2. lorddraven2000 profile image90
    lorddraven2000posted 5 years ago

In my area there is a great deal of over age individuals who use facebook and other social sites to con younger people into camming and other lude acts. It is a growing trend as well for high school kids to do this for each other and it really is a dangerous road they tread on.

abbykorinneleeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That was linked to the Amanda Todd bullycide case.  You should read the hub I wrote about Social Media and grown men looking for sexual gratification from minors...scary stuff.  I agree with you on this...parents shouldn't let kids cam talk anyway

2. lorddraven2000 profile image90
      lorddraven2000posted 5 years agoin reply to this

It is getting bad. I am not much for taking away privacy but I do feel a child's internet interactions need to be monitored to some degree.

3. safiq ali patel profile image73
    safiq ali patelposted 5 years ago

Private and personal information is a little too visabel on some social networking sites. I like sites like twitter and facebook but I think they make a lot of what is very private information a little too public.
    Unlike hub pages when you join face book you do so in your real name with a real photo of you and personal details of where you worked and the schools you went to.  I like to think that most people are safe but their are dangerous people out there who could use this info to stalk or cause other problems for people.
    Perhaps facebook should allow user names instead of real identities and allow users to access personal information by using a password that you give only to people who you would like to have this type of personal information. .

abbykorinneleeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is a great idea

4. profile image48
    InspiredEyes70posted 5 years ago

People might think that your profile is you, but its not. People give out too much info online. They give out phone numbers emails and some addresses.  You're never too safe online. There are people who create fake profiles, where you might talk to people that might not  be themselves. They may have a self appearance, but they might not be who they are. Don't chat with people. They might be crazy.

working