What Happened to My Picture's DPI/PPI?

1. Rhonda D Johnson profile image70
    Rhonda D Johnsonposted 5 years ago

What Happened to My Picture's DPI/PPI?

My mother got a picture scanned onto a CD at Staples and was told it was scanned at 300 dpi.  But when she emailed it to me, it was only 72 dpi.  Did the saleslady lie or did emailing cause the picture to lose resolution?  Or what happened?

This reminds me of the world famous mystery of the missing pillow.  Crime buffs dubbed it The Pillow Case.

2. derek gulbranson profile image80
    derek gulbransonposted 5 years ago

Likely your mother did it somehow when she was emailing. You'd be surprised how many different ways there are to add an attachment to an email, many of them leading to drastically different results. You could ask her to put the files on DropBox.com or similar.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

You only need 72 DPI to view on a monitor. If she viewed it first and then saved that view, that would result in the 72 DPI. If she still has the original cd, she can just copy the file to her desktop and then send it as an attachment. You then open it up in whatever program you use and view it. If you want prints made, take it to Walmart of one of the other places that prints from CDs and you should get the proper resolution.

working