jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people who are concerned about their privacy post every thing they do on

1. flacoinohio profile image81
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

Why do people who are concerned about their privacy post every thing they do on Facebook?

I dont undertand how people who demand that others respect their privacy and are concerned that people are prying into their personal business and yet they update their facebook with up to the minute news about what they are doing and where they are.  if you expect to have some privacy and keep your life private, stop posting everything you do on Facebook.  It is amazing that a person cannot tell a parent or a loved one something personal, yet they have no problem sharing everything they do with complete strangers on Facebook.

2. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 5 years ago

A good question.  Sometimes I cringe at how much personal information people post on Facebook.  Facebook was made for extroverted people who just want to share everything about themselves.  To be fair, they usually aren't sharing with complete strangers, as most sensible people are careful with who they friend on Facebook and who they allow to see updates on Facebook.  However, people never know who is logged into one of their Facebook friends' accounts (it may be someone else who is accessing the accounts, like a friend or relative), so people still need to be careful with what they post publicly.  Like you said, if you wouldn't say something in private to someone close, why on Earth share it on Facebook?

3. marketingmistress profile image60
    marketingmistressposted 5 years ago

I completely agree. I think that people just choose not to think about it. It seems like people believe that it is easier for them to post something online than tell a friend in person. I find it so strange how our culture is becoming more and more timid about what they say to another person. People seem to want to be anti-social. I am currently working on an article about our culture becoming anti-social.

4. JustSimple info profile image80
    JustSimple infoposted 5 years ago

Its an afterthought, just like recently here locally,  a woman was unfortunately raped in my city, she said she always leaves her back door open at night.  Its just inviting something bad to happen.   Nobody deserves to be raped or have there privacy taken from them, but the internet is about sharing information.   That is what it was built for, but companies have made it easy to help you forget about all the dangers that can happen. 

If a well known company tells you they keep your information safe and private, most people will take them for their word.  Unfortunately, if you post it on the internet, it can and will eventually be seen by someone.   

Have you heard of pipl.com?

You would be amazed what people can find about themselves and other people when they find out there information is public....

5. sallybea profile image99
    sallybeaposted 5 years ago

The pity is that unless you join Facebook and all that goes with it - you miss out on important things which happen in the lives of the people you love.  Sometimes they even forget to tell you because they just assume that everyone will have seen it on Facebook.  Images of grandchildren and babies in the womb can now be shared with all and sundry - the times they are a changing!!!