Concerned about having a "hubber" not follow me

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Seafarer Mama profile image79
    Seafarer Mamaposted 12 years ago

Hi All,

So, this might not seem in the spirit of hub pages comeraderie, but I am a little uncomfortable with having a particular member follow me. The name is ZAGOOTO, and he has no profile information, no hubs, but 11 followers. Who on earth is this person? Why is he "following" people but is not writing, and there is no other manifest information about him? I will not follow this hubber, and wonder why this person is following me. Is there a way to block this person?

Has he appeared on any forums? Most hubbers give their fellow writers some information about who they are...and we have a right to know who we are involved with online...especially if that person is "following" US. It feels almost like stalking. Just does not feel right.

Seafarer Mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, who is "Techiepala"? Same issue.

Okay, so stalking would be contacting me continuously...and they don't, but I do not want my writing "followed" by someone I do not have any information about myself.

1. Stacie L profile image89
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

don't approve of them

2. Repairguy47 profile image59
        Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess best selling authors don't have that problem, they don't know nor do they care who is reading their work. Why do you need to have information about those who may enjoy reading more than writing?

Good point,  "Repairguy." I suppose I don't have to care...but have been reading and listening too much government secrecy and spying on citizens...and it makes me wonder about motive.

It's a little different here, I think. Bestselling authors don't need to know more than that their books are selling. They are happy that  people read what they write.  i bet they wouldn't mind meeting a few friendly "fans," though. Every writer likes to hear from their "fans" or "followers" a bit of appreciation for the work that they do. Why write online if one doesn't want others to read it...or care?

Here, there may be best-selling authors, but there seems to be some connection between "followers," something two hubbers obviously have in common to make them follow one another...and usually benign.

But isn't this a "writer's" site?  Unless the follower is a fellow writer, it feels more like the person wants to "lift" for their own gain.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
            Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lift what? Are you putting out secret information that you are afraid someone might use to rule the world? Try this, don't write on the internet! Problem solved, that's why I'm the repairguy.

You know that it is not that simple.

LOL Repairguy.

No, I am not very "afraid" and have covered myself via media copyright law.

Obviously, I'm not secretive...pretty open with my ideas, really. :0)

3. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can imagine it is sort of wierd to not know who is reading your work. But any online activity of any sort runs the risk of being seen by strangers. Honestly, I would be uncomfortable if I was required to tell every author of anything I read, about myself. It seems odd to think someone thinks they have a right to know about me, just becuase I enjoy thier writing.

If he hasn't commented or emailed you or anything, I really wouldn't worry. Everyone has thier reasons for being who they are. Hope you feel better about it soon.  smile

Yes, I do feel a little appeased already. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :0)

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

And, you're worried about this person why exactly?

Does this person comment on your hubs? I have tons of people who follow me, but never comment on my hubs.

You shouldn't be worried about this individual and you don't have to follow them. No one is telling you and it isn't written anywhere on HP that you have to follow those who follow you. It's actually best that you don't, otherwise your email for latest published hubs list would be so long that you would never have or could never make time to read them.

It's also not a requirement to fill out a profile(last time I checked), however, even with that said, it would be more beneficial to fill in the profile so those who do follow, know a little bit more about that person.

Secondly, it could be a 'sock puppet', since they don't have any hubs. The reason they have followers could be many, which I'm not willing to address in this post.

It's actually nothing to worry about and you're only going to upset yourself over nothing really.

3. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

There is no way to block a follower.  I understand that it can feel strange, but why does it bother you so much?  There are bound to be many people who read your articles that you don't know about.  These who have signed up as followers are simply getting notification of your articles when you publish them - that's all.  Maybe they are very new here, just learning the ropes, and haven't created a profile or written Hubs... *yet*.

Thank you for stopping by, reading, and offering your honest answers Cagsil and Aficionada.

I am not losing sleep over this, but these hubbers have been "around" for around nearly a year. Okay, life happens and we don't always get to what we intend, but it just feels like these people might have something to hide. Why don't they want me to know who they are?

It's the, being known more by someone I do not know...feels like I am intruded upon...and exposed. Sharing my ideas and the parts of my life I write about with hubbers I know more about feels MUCH more comfortable.

Why do they want to "follow me?" I guess it's the protective parent in me. I have lots of hubs in which I mention my daughter and things I have enjoyed with her. I don't want to stop that...and I am sure there are more Internet trolls out there that may have read my writing...but it seems too close to home here on HP.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are aware that anybody, anywhere on the internet can read your hubs, right?  If you're worried about people you don't know reading your hubs, you probably shouldn't upload them onto the web.

yes, I know that anyone can read my hubs...but it seems that if someone makes an effort to join HP, they might want to write, and join in on the community aspect. Seems like their non-hubtivity seems to get in the way of having some social connection with them, because we don't know who they are. They aren't doing it for the chance to write, obviously. So why? Just seems too weird...he one-sidedness. of it.

This is not about people who use the internet to look up information and who do not wish to initiate an account on HP. There are many out there. Some have left lovely comments on my blog. I welcome that.

Somehow...the people who are creating an HP account and not writing are are making an extra attempt to "follow" a hubber more closely than just looking from afar over WWW. So why would they need to do this if the same information they seek by "following" is available to them otherwise? Strikes me as odd, and a little suspicious.

Don't mind them following me for the right reasons...as any writer would want....and this site is known for attracting a wide variety of

4. Seafarer Mama profile image79
    Seafarer Mamaposted 12 years ago

Oh, wait. I just realized something...which is just plain weird!

My mother recently cut a whole forum post that I wrote in response to someone lately, and asked "what is this about?" Felt like she was deliberately spying on my online activity.

Can people who are not HP members take part in forums, or would she be an "insider" who might not have revealed her true identity to me?

weird, eh?

p.s. I have deliberately "not" followed either 'hubber' that I mentioned.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HP forums are indexed by Google and will come up on search results. If someone googled your user name, they would find them and be able to read what you posted without having signed up to HP.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The forums are public. The whole world can read them.

IMHO it doesn't matter why they are doing it.  They are getting access only to public information.

It is probably just some poor guy who joined up and then lost interest.  And now you are publicly suggesting he is a weirdo or plagiarist.

Hi Psycheskinner,

I knew I ran the risk of suggesting something about these "followers" that may not be positive, but was just inquiring, really. I am not here to accuse...but it is natural to question the situation.

True, these two may have joined and lost interest...of can just not follow through on interest at the moment....but it is natural to wonder...

Yes, I understand that what I write in my hubs becomes public and anyone can read it...but just seems that regarding the internal social aspect of Hub Pages....not knowing who is "following" me piques my protective instincts. They are still "strangers" until they become otherwise...and 1 step closer to "home" than the more anonymous WWW users around the world.

3. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anyone on the internet can see and read the HubPages forums, just like anyone on the Internet can see and read your Hubs.  Google indexes it all.

If you don't want things you write to be seen in public, then you need to not post in public spaces.

5. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Had a stalker so I completely understand. Has he/she commented on any of your hubs? If he/she has then you can capture the ip address. Otherwise notify HP about this person at team@hubpages.com . It could also be that he/she may be working on stealing your work, so keep an eye on that to. smile You are safe on HP just always be aware. smile

FYI: I just checked his profile, he now has only 2 followers and his stats are not reflecting who he has followed. So I believe HP may already have wind of him. smile

Hi AEvans,

Thank you for your empathetic response to my concern and your assurance. :0)

No, these two HP Individuals have not left comments on my hubs, that I can remember...so they are not actively pursuing me. They may not even be paying attention to HP at all...or more silently so. :0( So I will "beware" to an extent...but not use lots of energy.

I also have copyrighted all of my HP content (via the "poor person's copyright that stands up in court).

Wonder how long an account should have 0 activity on the part of the person who created it before it is deleted and the person needs to start over? I know that when I first started, I only had my profile and a few hubs up before I needed to stop to write a book...then return a year later to resume activity...but at least I had a profile that let other hubbers know who I am and had a few hubs that indicated my interests. I was a more "known" entity on-site than these folks are while I was trying to make money on a bigger project before I returned.

Thank you for your suggestions.. I will keep them in mind. :0)

6. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

i was mistaken about not approving a follower; you can only do that for fan mail.
    Otherwise just piss them off enough,and they may leave.
    i'm leery of followers who don't have hubs or a profile..

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't worry too much if they have no profile or hubs.  If they happen to be named 'Francis', then I worry!

:0)

2. Seafarer Mama profile image79

Thank you, Stacie L. :0)

It's good to know that I am not the only one with that concern. :0)

7. Brie Hoffman profile image58
    Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years ago

I don't know why this bothers you..I have a lot of people who follow me who don't write, they just want to read what I write.  What does this bother you?

Are these people on HP and have a blank  profile?

8. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

I dont mind so much.

Some of them even watch me from the street while I eat dinner (I leave my blinds open). It's all good. Just good ole fashion groupies I believe. No harm!

:0)

I'll "qualify" that :0) with a tee hee, since I hope that you are joking. :0)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)