jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

Are you concerned with protecting your identity online?

1. Adamowen profile image79
    Adamowenposted 4 years ago

Are you concerned with protecting your identity online?

2. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 4 years ago

Yes. But it's also important to note that if someone really and truly wants to know every last detail about you, there are a number of ways to find out whether legally or illegally. All of this is irrelevant of how long or challenging your passwords are, whether or not you use avatars instead of personal pics, etc. Further, even people who have never used or owned a computer are victims of identity theft that is often done completely behind a computer screen miles of continents away. Just ask the millions of people who have been denied an apartment, a car or home loan, due to identity theft. Many of these very people have never even used a computer and a fair number of those that have only have limited use at work or a library where they never accessed sensitive personal financial accounts. Darned if you do attempt to protect yourself, darned if you don't.

1. Express10 profile image89
      Express10posted 4 years agoin reply to this

"Miles OR continents away" is what I meant. Sometimes I type too fast.

2. Mr. Happy profile image84
      Mr. Happyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Depends how much information of You is out there. Do You use plastic cards or cash? Own mortgage, cars, stuff in your name? Yes. Then, You are easily profiled. On the other hand, there are also ways to stay in shadows. The pendulum swings both ways.

3. Express10 profile image89
      Express10posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You're right Mr. Happy about the pendulum. However many people need ID's/driver's licenses/passports, most people aren't paid in cash, just paying taxes requires detailed info, etc. Keeping things out of your name opens up another can of worms.

3. skgrao profile image76
    skgraoposted 4 years ago

Just as you keep your home locked you got to keep your ID locked and make sure you change your pass word often.Why keep your home unlocked.

4. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

yes, extremely important. I never reveal my actual, name and personal details to any websites except paypal. That is the only place for me to earn money.

5. tlmcgaa70 profile image78
    tlmcgaa70posted 4 years ago

i use common sense and keep personal information off the computer as much as possible, but other than that i am not concerned about it. im not concerned about privacy issues nor am i concerned about identity theft. i do what i can, but if it is gonna happen its gonna happen no matter what i do or dont do, and worrying about it isnt going to stop it either. as another poster said, there are people out there who are very determined and will get what they want one way or another. i do pray that GOD protect me...and then i stop thinking about it.

6. Gabriel Wilson profile image94
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 4 years ago

Yes of course and I take all precautions possible online and offline. These days it's vital to be awear of identity theft and how to make it as difficult as possible for a thief to steel yours.

1. skgrao profile image76
      skgraoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What Anti ID Theft Protection is best - I use K7.

2. Gabriel Wilson profile image94
      Gabriel Wilsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There are quite a few; which is best I don't know smile but if you look up lifehacker.com/5858197/how-to-protect-yourself-from-online-fraud  there are some guidelines worth following.

7. conradofontanilla profile image81
    conradofontanillaposted 4 years ago

Yes. However, by giving my address I know that my residence  can be attacked by means of satellite. The military bearings in GPS are precise.

8. DDE profile image28
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I have my real identity online here and on Facebook and agree with Express10 if someone wants to know an identity of you tey can easily gain access in many ways.

9. ChitrangadaSharan profile image56
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 years ago

This can happen, if it has to happen. If someone has the intention of doing this mischief, they can do it in spite of all protection. We can just hope and take all recommended precautions to avoid it.

10. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

If someone really has nothing better to do than find you from the internet, they'll find a way whether or not you use your real name and picture.  I don't hide behind a mask when I go out and talk to people in the real world, and I don't feel compelled to do it here.  For me personally, I connect better with writers who don't "hide" behind fake avatars etc.  Of course, it's all personal choice of course. For me, I want to develop a positive and professional image and I don't think that's easy to do hiding behind an avatar or fake name.

11. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago

Absolutely.  I think people are way to careless with their online identities and show far too much about themselves.  These are behaviors that make it easy for people to steal their identities and cause major problems for them.  If you're going to be online, you should always do whatever you can to minimize your personal information.

working