jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think texting is affecting this generations ability to learn how to spell

1. HRudman profile image61
    HRudmanposted 5 years ago

Do you think texting is affecting this generations ability to learn how to spell and write well?

2. ajwrites57 profile image85
    ajwrites57posted 5 years ago

dunno--lol--it culd b! OMG! it hard to typ fast and drive! Just kidding! yikes

3. Technibusiness profile image61
    Technibusinessposted 5 years ago

Did you know that the concept of “good” spelling is actually a fairly recent idea?  Since so few people could read or write in the past, and because there were so few books published, the rules of spelling were very lax until just the last 250 years.  The first really dependable English Dictionary was written by Samuel Johnson in 1755. It was called A Dictionary of the English Language. Even afterwards, there has always been debates on what is the “correct” spelling of many words.  For instance, British people use “colour”, while Americans use “color”. The point is that there was a serious reason we as a people decided on making rules for spelling and writing.

Back to your question, I believe the answer is yes – texting is affecting this generation’s ability to learn how to spell and write well. When chatting with friends it takes so much more work and time to text out long words or phrases that we’ve come to use quick abbreviations instead (for instance “ttfn” for “ta ta for now”). After using the shortened version so many times, many of us will forget the actual original phrase.

This has happened in the past of course. For instance “scuba” is actually a shortened form of the phrase “Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus”. How many people know that?   Is it important for people to know that? Well, yes. The meaning is much clearer with the entire phrase, isn’t it?

The main reasons for having spelling and writing rules is to cut down on miscommunication! We want to be able to communicate with everyone, not just the ones we are close to. Texting is certainly fine for chatting to each other, but it doesn’t take the place of really being able to communicate new or complex ideas. This generation and the ones that follow need to keep this in mind when sitting in English class and learning how to spell.

4. HRudman profile image61
    HRudmanposted 5 years ago

Rotflmao =p i got u. J/k. The sad part is I've seen college level students turn papers in that look like one long text message and read at a 7th grade level.

5. windygreen profile image61
    windygreenposted 5 years ago

spelling i dont know about .... but texting is grammarless ...

working