jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Has technology helped or hindered human communication?

1. moneyfairy profile image76
    moneyfairyposted 4 years ago

Has technology helped or hindered human communication?

With all these gadgets out there : twitter,tweats, cell phones etc...does anyone ever just talk face to face anymore or has it all gone electronic? What do you think?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

I don't think it has hindered us all that much. Before there were cell phones, email, twitter, and Facebook people were generally in contact for the most part with people that lived in their own town, co-workers, and friends/family in (their) area.
    I believe the same face to face people in most people's lives hasn't changed. People still get together for parties, bbqs, movies, shopping, double dates, beach and park outings. Nightclubs, sports bars, concert arenas,amusement parks, and resturants are filled with friends or families. Not many cities resemble a ghost town. People still meet in person.
    Higher gas prices and heavy traffic congestion may have a bigger effect on some people regarding making crosstown trips. Age is another factor. The older one becomes the less incline they are to want to deal with crowds. Most people however don't choose to imprison themselves  in their home. :-)
    On the upside of things cell phones, email, twitter, Facebook, and Skype have made it much more affordable to maintain contact with those who are a long distance from us on a regular basis. Before these inventions people who lived far apart made the occassional expensive long-distance call or they mailed a letter/post card from time to time. Today the average person is in contact with (more) people than ever on a (regular) basis regardless of their distance!

moneyfairyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

True you are in contact with more but also the scary side is no info. is private anymore, all the hackers out there can get all your info. instantly.

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 4 years ago

It has probably aided communication, but has had a horrendous effect on face to face interaction.  I once knew a young women who told me that the only time she and her friends ever communicated was via messages on their answer phones.

moneyfairyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you , that is what I was wondering,so very sad. Also the scary thing is that hackers can get into bank accounts etc...and steel information easier too.The young teens that are on Facebook have no idea how fast their private info is spread scary

working