jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Google Fiber - Has Anyone Tried It?

1. Marisaupa profile image59
    Marisaupaposted 4 years ago

Google Fiber - Has Anyone Tried It?

With speeds approaching 1 gigabit per second, Google Fiber is truly high speed internet.  Compared to the average internet connection, it blows them away by as much as 100 times over.  Currently it is only available in Kansas City, but is soon to come to Austin, Texas and Provo, Utah.

I am just curious, has anyone had the cybernetic pleasure to put such speeds to the test?  Is it overkill for the average web surfer?

At least the Google Fiber Bunny logo is cute, right?

2. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 4 years ago

A good question.  I haven't tried it, but I want to hear what people have to say about it.  Google Fiber is smart move by Google; designed to make the Internet an easier place for them to conduct and grow their business, and doing us all a favor by dramatically increasing Internet speeds.  From what I understand some countries in Europe and Asia, such as Norway and South Korea, have similar Internet networking speeds as what Google Fiber is trying to bring to the United States.

Marisaupaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it is a very smart move on the part of Google.  I imagine that they must have a larger roll-out plan in the works for the rest of the country.  Austin and Provo are next because they have, according to Google, a higher "tech user" density.

3. my_girl_sara profile image83
    my_girl_saraposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a reason to fire Comcast! They are such jerks in customer service. Unfortunately, they offer a better product than AT&T so I keep them. I just looked them up and they are not in the ATL yet. Darn.

4. cebutouristspot profile image76
    cebutouristspotposted 4 years ago

Wow.  I hope we have that here that sound really fast.

5. skear profile image98
    skearposted 4 years ago

Google's new fiber network is incredibly fast.   I had the opportunity to test the network at the Google Fiber Space in Kansas City.

Web pages load nearly instantaneously, full HD videos can be streamed with zero buffering.  Netflix even supports 'Super HD' for customers on the Google Fiber network. (https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731)

I uploaded a few videos I took while visiting the Fiber Space that demonstrate how well the fiber network works.

Using Google Earth On The Google Fiber Network

Web Browsing

Speed Test

Video conferencing works amazingly well via the network too.

Nice!  Thanks for sharing your Fiber experience.  I am now more intrigued with having such speeds.

6. Georgie Lowery profile image94
    Georgie Loweryposted 4 years ago

I have honestly never heard of it, I just wanted to comment that their logo looks like a gummy bunny!

Yes, a gummy bunny; or a bunny that was on the losing end of an encounter with a graffiti artist.