jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What would you put in a time capsule?

1. Chriswillman90 profile image96
    Chriswillman90posted 3 years ago

What would you put in a time capsule?

Would you ever open it or let someone else from the future like your grandchildren open it?

2. Ann810 profile image80
    Ann810posted 3 years ago

I would put a Bible in a time capsule, but not my personal Bible. This would be useful before Bibles go digital, and they stop actually printing Bibles.

3. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 3 years ago

I love this question. I cant wait to read some of the answers. The answer about the bible is very interesting and would be neat to put into a time capsule. 

Well for starters I think I would put my writings and poems in the capsule, as they tell my feelings and emotions at the time. To compare them in years or even decades to come would be astonishing. To see the change in the world.

Maybe even technology, because either the world is going to crash as we know it, or the technology is going to be so far gone, that the world will get worse before it gets better.

So maybe a cell phone of today. I am sure that in decades a cell phone of today will be so old fashioned for the children growing up in a new era, they will have the same look on their face that some of us do when our children try to teach us about computers. lol.  So with that said, yes I would let my grandchildren open it. It would be a great discovery for them.

1. Ann810 profile image80
      Ann810posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rayne123, the current cell phone in a time capsule is a good one. I would also put a 1 dollar bill and a 5 dollar bill into a time capsule for about 3-5 generations of grandchildren to see. This is because money will one day be obsolete.

4. nicolas-ray profile image61
    nicolas-rayposted 3 years ago

Today's newspaper to document time and date. Possibly include a video or a GoPro that also documents the time capsule event and the people involved. Tons of photographs from all around this planet.  I would include something symbolic and meaningful, part of an event, possibly a fragment of 911, have to think about that one. Last thing I would include is a "selfie" with description of what a selfie is.

5. Flipsgeraldine profile image79
    Flipsgeraldineposted 3 years ago

I would put history books, accredited history books, in my capsule.  I read the "American Experience" and has gain a better insight into why America is what it is today.  The reading of this book also, empowered me to make career changes.  Hence, in addition to the above history book, I will place a history books on African, China, Europe etc., because it is true, real improvement comes from understanding ones history.  If you understand your history and the history of others you become an empowered citizen and ultimately you will make the world a better place.

6. Que Scout profile image77
    Que Scoutposted 3 years ago

Sorry, I've thought and thought; private bits of a male and a weapon.

Throughout history that bit, and survival has, for the most part, driven every move & thought of humans. Perhaps a weapon of sorts for Survival to show our 150,000 years of war we engaged in.

7. Chriswillman90 profile image96
    Chriswillman90posted 3 years ago

I really like some of these answers. I agree about putting something in the capsule that'll represent the past so things like history books or newspapers sound like a good idea.

I would put a few gadgets that we use today as well just so they could see how technology has continued to evolve. Even things like a GPS or an Iphone could be placed in it representing tech growth. I didn't think about a Bible but future projections indicate that religious influence is poised to fade over time, but they need a reminder how much religion matter and what the text represented.

Weapons are also interesting because the way we fight has also changed over time. The way we fight years from now will probably be through long distance attacks rather than through use of close combat weapons.