jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What would you be doing THIS very day, if computers had never been invented?

1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 2 years ago

What would you be doing THIS very day, if computers had never been invented?

This morning I woke up and immediately went to my computer to work on an online project.  My husband, who is retired, did the exact same thing.  When I tried to think of what I'd be doing (what I used to do) before there were computers, I had a hard time imagining that scenario.  My husband seemed at a loss to answer that question as well.  I think the question is especially pertinent to people who don't have full time jobs. What else would you be doing if you didn't have a computer? If your present job is dependent on computers, the question then becomes,"What other job would you have?"

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12397093_f260.jpg

2. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 2 years ago

Chances are, I would be dead -- and that is because if not for advanced technology, the doctors who treated me for a very serious disease would not have had the tools needed to save my life.

Billie Kelpinposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Here's to technology and a long life !

3. easylearningweb profile image92
    easylearningwebposted 2 years ago

Great question! My job is totally dependent on a computer. So instead of doing what I do now which is creating training materials and online courses mostly for software, I think I would just be writing either by hand or on a typewriter. Or maybe an artist! either way it would be something creative and it would definitely take a lot longer then what we are used to today.

4. word55 profile image74
    word55posted 2 years ago

I think I would be exercizing more and spending more time socializing.

I think I would too!

5. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

A fascinating question once one ponders when computers became prevalent in one's life. I have since reading this question pondered when in my life computers were introduced that I facilitated on a day to day basis. I am referring to when they were part of my daily function at home, work, or play.

Again interesting because I use to use a programmable Texas Instrument calculator way back around the late 70's when studying analytical geometry. That is when I would say I began using a computer.

I don't think I realized then the impact that calculator had. Actually reflecting I really did not understand that to be a computer. I guess one may say I was computer illiterate, even though I owned one. Sharing that reflection process one could probably write a book of the impact of computers in this life I have lived.

With humor answering the question seems almost impossible. I at first was going to say be watching TV, however mine has a computer in it :-) If I reflect back to before I was introduced to that calculator as a starting point and never knew computers, then today I would be . . . pondering a different question :-)

Tim, I'll await your book on the subject smile  It would be a cool story.  I once was fascinated by a book called "The Gentle Tasaday" about a tribe in the Phillipines who supposedly had not been exposed to modern culture and had no word for "war"

2. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Billie. On that line not enough characters to offer the reply I wish. A note is I began writing mentally an article about computers within the life I lived. Amazing! I smile having privilege to grow with computers since the calculator. Thank you!

working