jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Service for getting media off old computer

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 years ago

Service for getting media off old computer

I have some old laptops with pictures of my kids. Is there a service that will get the media off of them for me?  I really don't want to fiddle with old computers.

2. easylearningweb profile image93
    easylearningwebposted 2 years ago

How old is the laptop? Are you able to connect to the Internet or have a USB port?  If there is a USB port I would just use a flash drive. Otherwise, assuming you can connect to the Internet, how about dropbox? You can just upload the files to dropbox and then just download them to your new computer.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That is great information, Amelia - I did not know that. Seems it would be a lot easier.

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
      Paul Edmondsonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I went with a flash drive.  The OS is so old that I can't upgrade them to a modern browser to upload the media to youtube.  I going to give dropbox a shot as well.  It's taken me hours to convert 3 videos to a format that youtube will take.  Ugh.

3. easylearningweb profile image93
      easylearningwebposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Glad you found the information helpful, Phyllis.

Pay, based on your reply to Glenn, it looks like you cannot get to the Internet because of the browser issue. Do you have a USB port at all? If there is no USB port, is there are disk drive?

3. Glenn Stok profile image100
    Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago

Paul, You didn't say if the old laptops are dead or not. I assume they are since you're asking this question. The solution is to remove the hard drive and connect it via USB port to your newer computer.  There are two kinds of hard drives. SATA and IDE. 

You can find a simple interface cable on Amazon for about $13 that connects a SATA or IDE hard drive to a USB port. Once you do that the new computer should automatically recognize the hard drive and you'll be able to copy the files from it to your new computer.

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
      Paul Edmondsonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

One of the machines turns on, but it's painfully slow and so out of date the OS won't support a modern browser, plus it doesn't have any disk available.  I deleted as much as I can from the main machine.

2. littlething profile image85
      littlethingposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If it's that old, then pulling the hard drive is probably the best way to go. Because they are laptops, it will be a bit harder to get to the hard drive than if it was a PC. It can definitely be done though.

working