jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How private is our private life today?

1. Sadia Mushtaq profile image59
    Sadia Mushtaqposted 13 months ago

How private is our private life today?

2. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 13 months ago

Our private lives today are as private as you yourself keep it. Privacy is in your hands. Anything that goes out of your control is no longer private anymore, never has been.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
      bradmasterOCcalposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Greg, I would disagree because there aren't that many things that you can do that your privacy won't be attacked. Take COSTCO and all the other membership companies like supermarkets. These companies can recreate most of your life. And the NSA?

2. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 13 months agoin reply to this

You have to join Costco and shop there for them to have any info on you. That's the same with anything you do outside your home.

3. DowntroddenInDC profile image84
    DowntroddenInDCposted 13 months ago

I think there are ways to try to keep your life more private. At least on the micro-level. You can pay for things in cash. You cannot join/participate in social media. You can only use a 'dumb' cellphone or not have one at all.

On the macro-level it's becoming increasing more difficult. If you have internet, someone, somewhere is tracking you. You can try using VPN's and a browser like Thor. But it takes surprisingly little information for you to send out. I had heard that it takes Google as little as three disparate data points to isolate a single user.

In my personal life, I don't worry about it too much. Most of the data that's being collected is used to try to sell me things. Having worked in advertising many years ago, I was already aware of this. So it's no surprise the technology has gotten better. As far as the government collecting data on private citizens, they swear they aren't and I don't believe them.