Someone interested in buying one of my websites

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Just yesterday I had my very first Stumbleupon spike of traffic to one of my websites - over 1,000 visitors on a day.  No sales, but I had one person enquiring about buying the website. 

The question is, how much information do I give this guy?  What questions do I ask him to know whether he's a genuine enquiry, or just trying to get enough information to steal my niche? 

I sent him the traffic graph showing the number of visits in a month, and the traffic overview showing the traffic sources - but I blocked out the information on keywords.  He's replied asking why I did that.

1. RogerAD profile image58
      RogerADposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am always very wary in situations like this, because there is a good chance that they are not actual buyers and are simply wanting some free information.

One of the first things I do is research the persons name/email. Often, if they are a scammer, you will see their email popup in a lot of places. However, just because there isn't any results for their email, doesn't really mean anything.

It is also a good idea to talk to them on the phone. This alone will often weed out a number of scammers.

With that said, requesting the keyword information isn't all that unusual, especially if you grayed it out. It probably would have been better to create a custom report that only had the fields you wanted to show them...

2. TerryGl profile image57
      TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa, I would treat this as a genuine inquiry. I would ask what his price range is for the purchase.

The information on your site is freely available on Alexa as well as Adwords Keyword tool, so him hunting for keywords etc. sounds obscure as it is readily sourced.

I would sell the site to him, but I would put a good price on it.

2. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I really would not bother with this guy. Sounds like he just wants you to give him all your stats so he can use it for himself.

Plus I'm sure you can make more off your website than what he wants to give you for it. There is too much to lose and very little to gain by giving him all your info. smile

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

....and there are places on the net dedicated to buy/sell websites.

4. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

If you're going to give someone all your good information, give it to me.  I'm much nicer and I would never scam you.

1. RNMSN profile image60
      RNMSNposted 13 years agoin reply to this

shadesbreath I am looking forward daily to your replies smile you make such right on remarks!!!

5. ilmdamaily profile image69
    ilmdamailyposted 13 years ago

I think your caution is justified Marisa. There's an awful lot of scams alive in the whole "buy & sell" websites niche.

Ultimately, it's your site, your stats. He should ask which stats he needs to see, and if those requests don't erode your own competitive advantage, then you could provide them. It's not up to you to have to justify which information you retain.

So don't feel bad about being secretive;-)

6. W. Christopher profile image69
    W. Christopherposted 13 years ago

If these sites are any indication, you might sell based on this and other similar sites (I've included hubpages.com, to show what they think it is worth):

http://websiteoutlook.com/www.hubpages.com
    http://www.cubestat.com/www.hubpages.com

Anyway, think about how much you'd like to make on your site and how much time you've invested into it. How long would it take for you to build an equal or better site?

I don't know that asking him questions would be the right way to go. He's the potential buyer.

Maybe the only question that I'd ask would be based on "This is my price, want to buy it or not?" or something similar (and in a nice way, of course).

Best wishes, Marisa.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I ran my own doamins through http://websiteoutlook.com/ and it seem to me that their data is waaay off.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just gave it mine.  They said $62,000 and change.  That would be a fair price based on Adsense income, but it neglects the real value, which is what someone doing computer consulting would get in yearly opportunities.

7. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 13 years ago

take a look at flippa.com to get an idea of prices, or sedo.

8. brettb profile image60
    brettbposted 13 years ago

Yes if you want to sell your site head to flippa or have a look on warriorforum, some people there make a living out of selling websites.

There's also an increasingly domain name scam going around - they almost fooled me the first time...

<snipped link>

9. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I've been through this a few times.   The offers aren't even a tenth of what I'd want and sometimes aren't even half a years Adsense income!

People really think other people are very stupid, I guess.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)