jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you like about Germany?

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image79
    Hmrjmr1posted 8 years ago

What do you like about Germany?

2. ivori profile image76
    ivoriposted 8 years ago

My grandparents came to the US from there.  Never been there, would like to go, but am not sure I'd be welcome (my maiden name could be a problem)!

3. profile image57
    Berlin Writerposted 8 years ago

Germany is a fantastic place to live. I'm a foreigner who has just spent three months in Berlin. Berlin has to be one of the most underestimated cities in Europe. Despite all the sad history, today it is extremely vibrant. Recently I joined in the celebrations of the fall of the Berlin wall 20 years ago. Most of the major world politicians came to visit including Hilary Clinton, Sarkozy, Brown and the Russian President  to join in the celebrations. Berlin has seen a great rebirth recently with some superb examples of modern architecture. In addition the music scene is great with good jazz clubs, excellent orchestras and three opera houses.

4. Papajon profile image85
    Papajonposted 8 years ago

I have to second Berlin Writer. This is a great city. I've been here for about a year and it is definitely the most artistic and vibrant European city I've been in. So much for old Europe, this is a city that is reinventing itself by the day.
    Germany is also an incredibly friendly place. I expected to find cold northern European standoffishness but instead have met the friendliest and warmest people you can imagine. If you've spent time in England you'll appreciate the difference. Germans may take a little while to warm up, but once you are a friend you are a friend for life.
    This is also a great outdoors culture. The Germans feel really attached to their forests and mountains. In fact there are special words for running through the woods and just jogging in the city is looked down on as an inferior alternative. If you are in the south you are also in easy reach of the Alps for summer and winter mountain sports. The list goes on. If you haven't been here, put it high on your list.

5. Peggy W profile image92
    Peggy Wposted 6 years ago

View photos and videos from the famed Black Forest & learn why this area attracts visitors from near & far. read more

working