ANY One change have done recently to save money in current bad times

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 51 discussions (114 posts)
  1. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

I take bus to work instead of car..

1. TrinaLynne profile image70
      TrinaLynneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I eat out way less.

1. Lgali profile image57
        Lgaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOT of saving this way

2. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I buy in bulk and if there are any products I like that are "Buy one get one Free", I stock up on it.

Also cut down on Take aways, Chinese, Pizzas etc.

1. Lgali profile image57

very good ideas

2. Lgali profile image57

good ideas Thanks

3. RRRood profile image65
      RRRoodposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We bought a digital attena for about $60 and dumped satelitte TV.

1. Lgali profile image57

that is good how many channels u are getting now..?

2. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

I unplug my microwave after using it.  I heard of this before and didn't really believe the reports about how much one can save on their electric bill.  I was amazed at the savings just by unplugging that one appliance!!  I can't do that to my TV and such because it is too difficult to move things to reach the plug.

1. Lgali profile image57

is this true if not using still use electricity

1. Lady Guinevere profile image66
        Lady Guinevereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are all electric except in the winter months when we use the wood burning fireplace.  Any little bit helps in cutting down the use of the electricity.  I am constantly going behind my husband and turning off lights!  I simply do not get it that he has to have a light on while watching the TV.
        We also use a Reel mower so we don't use gas or electric and we can run it in the rain if we want to.  Most of the garden tools are hand tools that do not use electric or gas.

1. TamCor profile image80
          TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We unplug appliances, too..but Lady Guinevere--I have to admit that we can't watch TV without a light on, either!  The glare of the TV screen just kills our eyes...so I just make sure all other lights are off everywhere else, as a compromise.smile

3. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I lost my home but my rent is more expensive. I had to give up cable.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some clouds just don't have a silver lining!

That just doesn't make any sense to me anymore.  It used to be that renting was cheaper than buying a home, but now it is the opposite.  Just doesn't make any sense no matter how you try to justify it.

1. Lgali profile image57

I agree with you

4. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I stopped using my credit cards and am working towards paying them off completely. That being said, I don't shop as much anymore and buy wasteful things like before.

I stopped drinking lattes (well, actually I make my own at home for a fraction of the cost). I only buy one now every Saturday morning. I actually enjoy it more! smile I used to buy one every week day, that's around $25 a week. Some days, I'd have two. Eek.

I also rarely go to the movies now (unless on dates where the guy pays). I rent them at home via Netflix. That saves a lot.

I don't eat out as much, either. When I do, I forgo dessert and usually the appetizer and opt for a less expensive meal (like a salad).

5. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

I created a Hub that addresses the fact that it is indeed in today's market cheaper to rent than to buy a home.  I agree that renting as a better option than buying just does not make any sense.  A few home buyers have been lucky to find foreclosed homes at a good bargain but isn't that prospering from others misfortune.

Visit me later this evening a
    https://www.hubpages.com/profile/lindagoffigan to read To Buy or Rent is the Question.  This post is by no means a solicitation but a hub that I had written that relates to the subject post.

6. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Stopped buying the daily paper and other mags, just get my news and sports etc off the internet.

1. Lgali profile image57

very nice idea

7. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Cooking at home more often
    Brewing coffee at home
    Cutting down to one vehicle for the household
    Enjoying simple (&cheap or free) pleasures

We have only one car, but it wasn't by choice to save money.  I stya at home and my hubby works and he does alot of other things afterwork.  He also does the grocery shopping on his way home to save gas.  Where he works in relation to the grocery stores and the mall--he has to pass by them so we don't waste gas doing those things.  Now if I want to get something specific then he will pick me up and we go back out--but I try not to do that because it wastes gas.

8. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

We downsized to save on utilities and rent, which in our area is still pretty reasonable.

We went from a 9 room house with a 2 car garage, to a place half that size, and half the cost of rent!  It was an adjustment at first, but it's been easier than we thought it would be, mainly because we are saving so much more money, and the stress relief from that alone has made this move worth it.

I wrote a hub about our downsizing adventure, but haven't gotten around to putting it on hubpages yet, lol...

9. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

I honestly havent changed a thing!! I have been living on a VERY strict budget for the past 10 years....and life is about the same for me as its always been. My husband and I  go out to eat about twice a year. I pack all his lunches and make most of our food from scratch. Its alot of work, but the only way we can afford to live. I have 3 kids, that I homeschool, so I do not have time for a "real job". We have a garden, raise chickens and rabbits, my husband hunts in the fall, and I am lucky enough to have a liqudation center where I can get most of my canned and boxed food. I do not have a car, cable tv, and I have been unplugging stuff for most of my life. I know things have been hard for alot of people, but I have been living this way for years. I am living proof that it CAN BE DONE!!

I don't have an real job either!  When our 2 cars got totalled we couldn't afford to get 2 more so we have just the one.

Tamcor,  There is a space between you and the TV that is supposed to be correct and to correct that.  I would have to look that up again.

10. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

I really love all hubbers I ask for one change they are giving me many Thanks

11. Wingrider profile image64
    Wingriderposted 14 years ago

I have found that by switching to vodka I can obtain the same buzz cheaper than drinking beer

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ahaha. Depends on which type of vodka. There are some pretty NASTY kinds out there. Oloff, I think it's called? blech.

I prefer Grey Goose. big_smile

2. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder what the Russians are switching to?

3. Lgali profile image57

that is good one

4. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have found that skipping that pesky evening meal helps to obtain a quicker cheaper buzz too.

1. Lgali profile image57

another good one

5. Lgali profile image57

good one

12. getpaidtopost profile image41
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

I watched a documentary on energy savings and it shows most TV's use upto 75% power when on standby. I was flabbergasted. Have been leaving my TV on standby for 15 years. Now I switch it off. In fact I now switch everything off, except for my alarm. Believe it or not, I have noticed a big drop in my electricity bill. Remember leaving on standby cost more money than you think so switch it of and save yourself some money as well as helping to save the environment.

1. Lgali profile image57

wow that is good to know thanks for sharing this info

I put my clock on a separate plug and the TV, DVD and Cable Box on a power strip.  I turn that off now.  Sometimes I don't even watch the TV during the day and sometimes when my husband is out of town --like this week, I won't even turn it on.  I am going to be saving lots of money!  Thanks!

1. Lgali profile image57

good idea

13. Apepperson profile image61
    Apeppersonposted 14 years ago

We simply sat down and figured up what we were spending on eating out. It's scary to see what we were paying for eating out, a cup of coffee or soft drink here, snack or two from the C store there...

We've cut all that out. Took a while to get used to it, but it's freakin' amazing how much more money we have now. Bought a thermos and take coffee with me to work now...and brown bag lunches!

14. raiderfan profile image61
    raiderfanposted 14 years ago

I drink american beeer only now

1. Lgali profile image57

I only drink water LOL

15. myra636 profile image59
    myra636posted 14 years ago

we unplug dvrs, mirowaves, cdplayers any thing we can to save our house is all ele. so it is hard. Plus I only drive when I have too, we all so stopped eating out.

1. Lgali profile image57

lot of good ideas

16. PaulaShaftoe profile image59
    PaulaShaftoeposted 14 years ago

Changed to cheaper auto and home insurance.
    Letting some minor repairs around the house sit for a while.

1. Lgali profile image57

very nice idea

17. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I used to get the Shaken Green Tea at Starbucks, but I make mine at home now and it tastes just the same. I called my cable/internet company and told them that I needed to cut back.

So they gave me the "economy" plan for my internet and cable package, and saved me $20 a month.

I also fill up my gas tank more often. I know that doesn't sound like it saves $$ but it does, when you get down to 0 it hurts your engine.

I grow my own herbs and tomatoes. I eat like a tomato a day, even though the farmers market is $2 for a bucket, it does save some.

My mom makes her own laundry detergent. I haven't done that yet, but she does 5Xs the laundry I do.

1. Lgali profile image57

thnaks for sharing very nice ideas

18. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I look for sales at the local food stores. I just purchased $95.00 worth of rib eye steaks for $31.00. We have two days a week when the local farmers bring vegetables to markets. The quality is better, fresher, and cheaper than the stores. I also buy in bulk for staples like paper towels, toilet paper, and laundry detergent. It saves nearly 30% to 40%.

Since property values are sliding here in Callifornia, I took advantage of repeal to the current value of my property which was reassessed during the upswing. I will now pay $1000.00 less in property tax this year.

We needed to upgrade all our appliances and I didn't want to use credits cards. I got a low interest loan (4.5%) off my retirement account. Can pay it off monthly for 3 years or earlier if I want. The advantage is it is not reported on your credit line. I then turned in the energy efficiency data of the new appliances to the power company and received cash backs for the upgrades.

1. Lgali profile image57

thansk for all the ideas

2. Lgali profile image57

very nice advice

19. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I find my deals online now.  When I need new things like shoes, I'll go to the department store and find what I like, try things on, then come home and find it much cheaper, including shipping fees, online.

And, like HealtCare does, we buy our staples in bulk and hunt for the sales for foods.  Veggies at a farmers market on the weekends will always be cheaper than the stores.

1. Lgali profile image57

very nice ideas

20. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Richard, I like the idea of looking in stores for things you want then going on-line to purchase at a cheaper price. Will be trying that out.

We just placed our two vehicles under one insurance policy and saved 30%off of having individual coverage. I wrote an article when I first joined Hubpages on health insurance coverage for domestic partners which saved us about $1000.00 in pocket change. That money paid for reinsulating our attic with higher R value. Gas company gave us a one time rebate and the heating bill has dropped significantly.

21. R. Blue profile image61
    R. Blueposted 14 years ago

I turn my underwear inside out and get an extra days wear out of it and I only shower once every other week. My aroma keeps the women away...and man what a savings that can be!!!

1. profile image49
      CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awwww poor babes, share a shower, works for me smile

1. R. Blue profile image61
        R. Blueposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah...women are too expensive ....better to not let them close.

22. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Wise words oh Blue one smile

Ain't it the truth brother?

1. profile image49

Ha you 2 losers couldn't afford me smile

Actually I'm looking for a horny beautiful rich woman to support me.....know any?

1. Lgali profile image57

that is nice horny + beautiful

2. profile image49

With your chat up lines I am sure you wont have any problems. Or you could turn gay, Ronnie Wood would like a nice young man like you lol

Have to pass on Ronnie.....his loss I'm sure.....

23. profile image49
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

So are you single Mr Blue, you intrique me !

24. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

All our electronics are on surge-protector power bars (including TV and stereo) because we live in house with 1040s knob and tube wiring (upgraded in some rooms). Switching off power bars makes quite a difference in electric bill.

We put in a new main power board in place of old fuse box when we moved in, which lowered our insurance.

Also we added blown-in insulation over the existing batts in the attic which lowers heating bill in winter and is cooler in summer.

We adjusted thermostat of water heater a few degrees lower, which saves quite a bit as well, and once we have saved up for it, we are going to install on-demand water heater. Then we will not be wasting money keeping a big tank of water hot 24-7.

25. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

On a personal note, I quit my caffeine addiction:  no more Starbucks or Tim Hortons. I'm also walking instead of driving.  On a family note, our activities have returned to the creative, imaginative and free.

1. Lgali profile image57

very nice

26. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

I've a fireproof mattress, a hideout, getaway car, skimask, and gun. Just need gumption. Can't seem to find any on eBay. ;D

27. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

I only do laundry once a month and shop at the Wholesale food store once a month.  The laundry takes about three hours to do but the savings is worth it. 

I also have learned the value of coupons and will use more online sources.  Right now, I use coupons from the mail and newspapers.

1. Laura Berwick profile image80
      Laura Berwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Coupons are great. Did you also know that there are a lot of coupons available online? They're so quick to use because you just choose the ones you want and print them out. I don't currently do it because I'm living in Asia and the ones I can read don't work here, but my mom's been doing it at home.

I'm not sure exactly where to find them, but I know that one place is ivillage.com . It may be that there are other places, that's just the only one I know.

28. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

we are having to down size to a smaller house...... less housework yipeeeeee.

1. Lgali profile image57

wow small or large still lot of work

2. Lgali profile image57

good idea

29. dwmiller profile image61
    dwmillerposted 14 years ago

I have put money on a prepaid card that has a savings account interest of 5%.  Get source to build up some funds.

1. Lgali profile image57

what card is that?

2. Lgali profile image57

which card is that?

3. Lgali profile image57

very nice idea

4. Lgali profile image57

good idea

30. Christenstock profile image58
    Christenstockposted 14 years ago

I was a raging "Bull" anteeconomicbellum (when Bear Stearns was floating above $100/share); then "Bear'd" the whole market!

Then I bought an 08' Maserati, instead of a Ferrari to save some green...

1. Lgali profile image57

very nice

31. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

We planted a big veggie garden this year, hope to can this fall.

I gave up my Caribou mocha's sad

1. Lgali profile image57

lot os saving and also healthy stuff for eating

2. Lgali profile image57

good one

32. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Don't spend much of anything anymore except on groceries. Stuff I wouldn't have though twice about buying a year ago I now think three times about it and don't buy it.

1. Lgali profile image57

very useful advice

33. N. Ramius profile image74
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

I've actually spent lots more money in the past couple months than in the past. I eat out more, do more activities that cost money, etc. I'm usually a frugal thrifty person but lately I've been spending a lot more.
    My financial expenses seem to follow the opposite of the economy.

1. Lgali profile image57

you are the lucky one in this bad times

34. my-success-guru profile image57
    my-success-guruposted 14 years ago

Yes! I eat out a lot less! Food can be a big expense!

1. Lgali profile image57

nice idea

2. Lgali profile image57

eat out a lot less is healthy too

3. Lgali profile image57

very good advice

35. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

yesterday I save more money when I buy on sale grocery with coupon more saving

36. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

today i went shopping to pick up small stuff without car

37. Aya Katz profile image82
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I live in the country where the cost of living is lower. I moved here eight years ago, choosing the particular location based on how much it would cost to live here.

I think many people feel they have to live in the city, where the cost of living is much higher, because that's where the jobs are. However, if the cost of living there is higher than what the job brings in, then it's time to re-assess. It's quite possible that you can't afford your job.

1. Lgali profile image57

veryThanks for sharing this nice idea move where cost of living is lower

38. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

reduced sugar consumption to half

39. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

cut some TV package saving $10 everymonth

40. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

well we have had to move house as our rent was too high... I HAVE to tell you things here in Ireland are really taking a nose dive.... lot's of people losing jobs..... and general hardship all round.... chemists closing on strikes because government is refusing to pay as much towards peoples neessary medication, and chemists wont pay either.....

1. Lgali profile image57

bad times we all have to fight hope for best

41. elainevc profile image59
    elainevcposted 14 years ago

not really cos I can't seem to stop spending hmm

but I am working a lot more than before, a lot of side-jobs and work from home and stuff...

1. Lgali profile image57

so if have more money no need for changing any habit

42. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

Have been making my coffee at home instead of hittin Dunkin Donuts. Also bringing lunch from home instead of buying it at work.

1. Lgali profile image57

very very good ideas. once a month  I treat myself outside fat food

43. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

I change my haome temp to high when we are sleeping

44. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I only fill the kettle up to as much as I am going to use, saves loads of electric. Have stopped using my tumble dryer and have cut, dyed and stlyed my own hair for the last 6 years, saved loads!

1. Lgali profile image57

thanks for sharing lor of good ideas

2. Lgali profile image57

good ideas

45. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

I did change my insurance company and save $10 everymonth

46. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

http://www.businessalone.com/belttightening.png

Personally...I just keep tightening the ol' belt...

1. Lgali profile image57

very funny

47. profile image60
    JBeyerposted 14 years ago

Consider watching TV on your PC and canceling your cable or satellite service to save $$$ per year.

48. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Changed mobile phones from contract to prepaid.
    With bonuses, free calls, etc. we can make heaps more calls and SMS messages for about half the price.

49. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Planning to build a new home, but figuring ways to do it on the cheap.  One biggie:  Knew I was going to go with earthbag walls but was unsure on foundation--monolithic slab would run over $10,000, and even a four inch slab would cost $4300 at present prices.

Current (and going to happen) plan:  Concrete BLOCKS (not poured in place, so no contractor) for perimeter only, cost under $500.  Floor to be natural Earth, with ONLY (a) a 6 mil plastic sheet ($72) topped with 1/4 inch rubber flooring ($1475).  Very "resilient",  save wife broken bones from falls (her balance is not good), improves thermal mass.

Bottom line:  Complete foundation plus finished floor will come to $500 plus $72 plus $1475 = $2,047, versus what could have been over $10,000 with floor not even included.

50. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

@Ghost32:
    Nice one. sounds great, and very practical.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)