jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

To all hubbers living in the U.S. or Canada, how convenient is public transit wh

1. mtkomori profile image86
    mtkomoriposted 7 years ago

To all hubbers living in the U.S. or Canada, how convenient is public transit where you live?

Do you rely more on public transit or on your car?

2. mtkomori profile image86
    mtkomoriposted 7 years ago

I live in Waterloo,Ontario, Canada, population close to half a million including surrounding areas. The only public transit we have here is the bus system which is far from convenient. Except for the major lines, the buses that come by my neighborhood has only one bus every half an hour. More than 80% of the people commute by car. My husband drives to work and during the day when I don't have access to the car (we only have one car) I take the bus or call a cab.

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I live in Sheridan, Wyoming, in the US, and there is no public transit. Here, if you don't have a car or people who are willing to give you rides, you're pretty much stuck. During the winter I rely on my personal vehicle for all travel, both in and out of town, because it's too cold and dangerous to walk or take a bike. Normally during the warm months my bicycle is my only form of transportation inside of town with a bike trailer hooked on to haul kids, groceries, and the rat dog.

4. Saskia Geerts profile image65
    Saskia Geertsposted 7 years ago

Nova Scotia is actually a pretty bad place when it comes to public transport. From where I live there is 1 bus a day going to and from Halifax. There is a local transit bus as well 6 days a week going through all the towns in the Annapolis Valley. This local bus goes every 2(!) hours.
    I already feel lucky to even have this local transit bus, as this is the only area in Nova Scotia outside of Halifax Metro that even HAS a local transit bus.... Coming from the Netherlands, this has been a bit of a shock to my system ;-)

5. McConnell Group profile image80
    McConnell Groupposted 7 years ago

Hey mtkomori, i am just down the 401 from you here in Mississauga.

I live right across from a major bus terminal and i must say it's always busy, but I think north Americans have grown a custom to having their own cars and frown upon public transport.