jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the best historical houses and castles to visit near London?

1. Simone Smith profile image95
    Simone Smithposted 7 years ago

What are the best historical houses and castles to visit near London?

I would like to take some day trips outside of the city, and would love to see some castles or country houses - but don't want too much of a hassle with public transport.  Any suggestions?

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image99
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 7 years ago

Windsor Castle is fabulous. It dates back to Norman times and was constructed on the orders of William the Conqueror. I visited a few times when I lived in London and took the train from Central London to Slough and a bus from there to Windsor. I explored different transport options but found that the easiest. It takes virtually a full day to see round it but there is so much to see. It is also the principal home of HM The Queen to this day, as my first tour guide informed me - it is not Buckingham Palace, as many believe!

http://www.windsor.gov.uk/site/things-t … tle-p43983

Hampton Court Palace was perhaps best known as home to Henry VIII. It is even closer to Central London but unfortunately my planned visit had to be cancelled at the last minute and I never got to rearrange it.

http://www.hrp.org.uk/hamptoncourtpalace/

3. profile image0
    snow_white88posted 7 years ago

Canterbury cathedral in Kent... 50mins away from London by train. Famous for many things but also the controversial Archbishop of Canterbury.

4. Krissi87 profile image61
    Krissi87posted 7 years ago

Like the others said Windsor and Hampton (this as its own Tube stop) are a great places to visit. Stratford upon Avon is a nice place . Also though I never was able to go Oxford is a beautiful. Bath was one of my favorites, you have the old Roman Bath, the Gregorian houses and you have Jane Austens home when she lived there. I believe you can take the train from Kings Cross/St Pancras.

Have Fun

working