jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Which country in south America is best for learning Spanish (beginner) and later

1. carrentalinfo profile image59
    carrentalinfoposted 7 years ago

Which country in south America is best for learning Spanish (beginner) and later do some volunteer

work (more than one year). DDoes anybody knows a true volunter proejcts that are truly non profit. (i am not looking for voluntourism:)

2. dosburros profile image82
    dosburrosposted 7 years ago

i spent five years working in south america and took classes in chili, peru, ecuador as well as central america.

For me it would depend on what else you were looking to do, whether you want city life or something more rural...

feel free to contact me if you want some more suggestions!

3. carrentalinfo profile image59
    carrentalinfoposted 7 years ago

thanks dosburros ,
    will contact you in near future, would love to hear some first handed info regarding learning the language and work.

4. stephaniedas profile image92
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

I know that Andean people are supposed to speak Spanish more slowly and clearly than coastal people. I've also heard that Loja, Ecuador, is considered to be the best place to learn Spanish in the world because they speak clearly and correctly.

Chile, Argentina, and the Caribbean are supposed to be some of the worst places to learn Spanish because they speak fast and use lots of modifiers and slang. I can tell you that I learned Spanish in rural Chile, and people from other countries have had difficulty understanding me. I've had to work hard to get into the habit of speaking correctly.

5. trecords0 profile image60
    trecords0posted 6 years ago

Ecuador would be my first choice.  Some Ecuadorians can be cold to Americans though.  There's a lot of anti-American feelings there because of one of their finance ministers.  The story I was told was that he stole half of the countries cash and is now teaching economics at Harvard.

6. profile image0
    Derdriuposted 6 years ago

Costa Rica, Ecuador and Uruguay are good places for learning Spanish. Costa Rica is the location of many collaborative scientific endeavors between English and Spanish language speakers so Costa Ricans are sensitive to language learning challenges. All three countries can be safe places to visit for an extended period. They each have established international communities, such as English/French/Italian language speakers, that may be helpful in directing you to volunteer opportunities as well. They each have respected universities and ample cultural activities and sightseeing opportunities in which to learn about the country and practice the language.