jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Does it offend you when people make negative comments about where you live?

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image96
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

Does it offend you when people make negative comments about where you live?

2. carlo_olano profile image72
    carlo_olanoposted 6 years ago

Not really although as much as possible, i would try to defend my place. wink

3. Cookinmom11 profile image62
    Cookinmom11posted 6 years ago

Yes, it does, until I realize it's their ignorance speaking. If they lived here they would know what a great place it is.

4. Larry Gee profile image59
    Larry Geeposted 6 years ago

It sometimes did. But I think as I grew older, I became better at judging when a comment was harmless and when it was meant seriously. I know some would argue even jokes intended to be harmless might not be taken that way, though, so I'm always leery of making broad comments. It doesn't really offend me on a deep level, though.

5. profile image0
    will345davisposted 6 years ago

Not at all. When someone makes a judgement like that, especially if it's somewhere they've never been, it's their ignorance and/or intolerance speaking. Everywhere has something to offer. People just have to be open-minded enough to look for it.

6. slappywalker profile image98
    slappywalkerposted 6 years ago

I usually don't get offended by it anymore. There is always that side of me that wants to fight back and argue about it, but what is the point? Usually people that make remarks like that are doing it to see what kind of reaction they can get out of you anyway.

One of the best things to do is just embrace the fact that you know your neighborhood/city isn't as bad as others may think, and continue to enjoy it's positive aspects.

7. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

No..........a very small amount of people have lived in my home.

The west has wildfires, the southeast has hurricanes, the central states have tornadoes, the mountain states have snow and mudslides...........

BUT this year has shown us..........that weather happens everywhere.........so does crime and ignorance!

(though, I have been known to defend the south).......it is much more educated and cultural than most people know.

8. carolp profile image80
    carolpposted 6 years ago

Not at all. Every human being has the right to share her/his own idea, but it should be a constructive critic.

9. lydocia profile image80
    lydociaposted 6 years ago

Seeing as where I live has a negative connotation around the rest of the country, I usually am the first to make those comments so that I do not have to hear them all over again by everyone, and so that everyone knows I do not CARE what they think or say about the city, as long as they judge me for who I am and not where I come from.

10. Kaye McCulloch profile image60
    Kaye McCullochposted 6 years ago

Not generally, but I suppose if they were making disparaging comments about it directly to me, in such a way that implied I was expected to agree, or that had negative implications about the people who lived there then I probably would be (assuming they new I lived there).

Or, if it was something they felt the need to continually harp on, that I would find annoying.