Harry Reid makes Racial comments about Obama

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 76 discussions (208 posts)
  1. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Harry Reid recently apologized to the president for remarks he made in his yet to be released book.  Obama accepted his apology and Scary Reid, Nazi Pelosi, And Barry Soreoto sat around the campfire singing kumbaya.

Imagine if Glenn Beck apologized for  racial statements he is "going" to make in his yet to be released book.

Am I the only one who notices a double standard?

Robert Byrd must be pathetically trying to high five Scary Reid..

Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From The Huffington Post:

Share Print CommentsMichael Steele called on Sunday for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to step down for racially insensitive comments, even as the RNC Chairman brushed aside talk that he should resign for using an epithet of his own.

Appearing on "Fox News Sunday", Steele condemned Reid for calling then-presidential candidate Barack Obama "light-skinned" and "with no Negro dialect" in private conversations during the campaign. The remarks, Steele stressed, were just as contemptuous as those made by former Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.), who once praised Strom Thurmond's segregationist presidential candidacy. And, as such, Reid (like Lott) should be forced to resign from his leadership post.

"I think he should," said Steele. "There is a standard where Democrats think they can say these things and apologize when it comes from the mouth of their own. But if it comes from anyone else, it's racism. It's either racist or it's not. And it's inappropriate, absolutely. So if the standard is the one we saw with Trent Lott as leader at the time, then I think this absolutely falls in that category here. ... Remember, this is the same leader who just a few weeks ago was talking about health care in the context of slavery. Clearly he is out of touch."

The follow-up question to Steele's statement was obvious from the onset. The RNC Chairman, this past week, had been chastised by members of both parties for using the phrase "Honest Injun" to tout the Republican party's platform. Combined with other gaffes, was this too grounds for resignation?

"No, absolutely not," he said. "Why should I Chris [Wallace]? I'm pushing the ball. I'm raising the money. I'm winning elections. I have got the base fired up."

"If [the comment] is [offensive] I apologize for it," he added. "I wasn't intending to say a racial slur at all. The reality is that's not the same as what we were talking about before."

Steele, of course, has had more flare-ups this past week then just the "Honest Injun" remark. And Wallace pressed him to address several others, including news that he was doing a book tour with the knowledge of his own staff and predictions that the GOP wasn't ready to win or govern the House of Representatives.

"There is too much focus on me because that's what Washington wants to focus on," Steele confessed. "I'm very passionate about what I do. I'm very passionate about winning. ... So I bring that to the table. And yeah, I get a little bit hot headed."

1. starme77 profile image77
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dunno , there is free speach and , if its obviously true , why would anyone cut someone down for speaking the truth? They guy really is light skinned with no negro dialect, so I'm really not sure what the big deal is When I look at him   - I have no reason to believe they guy is a negro

1. shazz01109 profile image67
          shazz01109posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are u really kidding me now?  Really?  What exactly do U mean by this statement "I have no reason to believe the guy is a negro"?  When comments such as this are made like Reid, I really gotta ask, where is this coming from?  Of course there's a double standard...
          Of course there is free speech.  People have a right to make idiots of themselves too, just like Reid did.  And I don't expect to hear such racist comments from such prominent politicians either.

1. Mitch Rapp profile image60
            Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. JOE BARNETT profile image59
            JOE BARNETTposted 14 years agoin reply to this

burn him up shazz

2. JOE BARNETT profile image59
      JOE BARNETTposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you must be a republican to you i say " nero played while rome burned"

You must be a democrat to have said this.

3. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I saw this on a ticker and I was laughing.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If every white person (and black person)had to apologize for every tactless remark they made in their life there'd be a whole lotta' apologizin' goin' on. No big deal. Arthur, I hope you were out there criticizing Don Imus for his remarks about the Rutgers women basketball players, and I hope you supported NBC's decision to dump him. But somehow I doubt that you and TMMason were on the right side of that one.

Honestly Ralph anyone who labels a person for any reason disgusts me.  I meet people of every culture and I find most of them are trying to provide for their family and living honest lives.
        The ones that do not live honestly do not fall into any particular group.
        I believe in treating everyone as an individual human being.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Seems to me you're trying to label Harry Reid and Barack Obama racists. Correct me if I misread your motives. Obama is about as far from being a racist as anybody in politics from what I can see.

I can think of a lot of things I could call Obama.  Racist would not be one of them. I am not even sure exactly who Obama is, do you?   I do not know what Reid's feelings about race is he speaks for himself.

Where is the outrage from the democrat party.  If it was a republican who had made the same remarks the anger level would not be the same.

2. TMMason profile image59
        TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Imus is a lefty and yes, I agreed he should be gone. But not have his whole life taken. As Reid should not lose his whole life over it. Just this aspect of his carreer.

But that is just something else your wrong about also Ralph. No prob I got ya. Anything else.

5. profile image58
      wonderkattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry whtie people.. Harry's remarks while dated were not the same as Trent Lott's. Harry meant no harm and was explaining why America could accept Obama.

Harry asked Obama to run. And the most important fact is that Obama accepeted his apology for the comment. You can't be mad for someone else if they are not mad.

If Obama says its over its over.

What I think we should explore is your racism.

I noticed that Rushbo is calling Obama "boy" on his show today.

Rush is a racist pig and will always be one. His ingorance of what is racist shows everytime he opens his mouth.

If you can't see the difference between what Lott said and what Harry said then you probably are a racist.

Peace Out

Rush does not work for the people.

Reid does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mitch Rapp profile image60

You obviously don't know what Lott said

Trent Lott
        "When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either."

Those are some racially charged words ain't they? roll

6. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"I learned to slip back and forth between my black and white worlds.  One of those tricks I had learned: People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves.  They were more than satisfied; they were relieved -- such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn't seem angry all the time."

"To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully.  The more politically active black students.  The foreign students.  The Chicanos.  The Marxist professors and structural feminists."

"I ceased to advertise my mother’s race at the age of twelve or thirteen, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."

on nationalism: "whites are responsible for your sorry state, not any inherent flaws in you. In fact, whites are so heartless and devious that we can no longer expect anything from them. The self-loathing you feel, what keeps you drinking or thieving, is planted by them. Rid them from your mind and find your true power liberated. Rise up, ye mighty race!"

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity.  She doesn't.  But she is a typical white person..."

"That’s just how white folks will do you."

quotes by Barack Obama. tame when compared to Harry Reid...

1. TMMason profile image59

lolololololol

7. Marquis profile image66
      Marquisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, liberal democrats continue their hypocritical ways. They can and may say all sorts of things about Blacks and get a pass. That is so unfortunate, and yet Blacks continue to vote for these democrat” race baiters."

Let us remember, these filthy Democrat ingrates have destroyed the Black community with this socialized government nonsense and even fought to have Blacks segregated for so many decades.

Ha! If they weren't so dumb they'd vote Republican.

8. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Has the right joined the ranks of the PC crowd normally reserved for the liberal left?  The heavens must have opened up and swallowed the earth!  What won't they resort too to drum up some controversy?

The admission by Harry Reid is one of clearing the air and while quite unsavory has some truth to it with regards to our society.  It is Americans afraid to look at themselves in the mirror where the real issue is.  We are a divided society and there are double standards both in the white and black community.  Really!

I remember when Jimmy the Greek made his gaff recounting how the breeding of slaves produced exceptionally strong and athletic black people on the plantations and that the genetic reference was missed and the prejudicial PC outrage consummed the truth of the statement.

It is further political posturing and undermining at its' worst.

I dont think we on the right much care about what he said, we just love the pathetic attempts at explaining Reids racism and the hypocrisy of the left. It truly is funny

1. rhamson profile image71
          rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can understand that and it is funny how after lo these many months the topic comes up again.  Just a politician covering all the bases I guess.

Who cares why? Its hilarious watching libs hurting themselves to explain it. Here is the real explanation, Harry Reid is a racist.

It was brought up and made an issue so Harry could bow out gracefully rather than be unelected in November.  I think it is all a PR stunt to give Reid a chance to Martyr himself.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

The hypocrisy is on the part of the Republicans who have been screwing the blacks for the past 50 years and are now accusing a middle-of-the-road Senator of racism. Give us a break!

9. aware profile image68
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if obama aint on the ground in hati by tomaro not only does he lack afro dialect he wares a klan hood to boot

10. profile image57
      patspnnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Double Standard Galore-If your friend shouts it's ok-your enemy it's an assault

11. ChapmanHester profile image64
      ChapmanHesterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Race should not be an issue in todays society, it doesn't matter if you are white, black or any color in between!  It only should matter if what you are doing on this earth is good or bad! If you are a good person with moral heart felt choices backing up your actions or a bad person with malice and a contempt for your fellow man! Its fitting that in a few days Martin Luther King Day is going to be here and that with all the things in the news about racial issues, decades later we are still fighting hatred in our country!  What happened to the virtues of Martin Luther King and what happened to the DREAM?  Even though we may have elected a black man to office we as a country still have these petty obsticles to overcome... Its a sad statement of what humanity is if we still have such hatred for one another, and such small things like the color of our skin dividing us... Only in unity will we ever truly find peace!

Very true, ChapmanHester. Here's what Frank Rich had to say in this morning's NYT--

The Great Tea Party Rip-Off

By FRANK RICH
        Published: January 16, 2010

Even given the low bar set by America’s bogus conversations about race, the short-lived Harry Reid fracas was a most peculiar nonevent. For all the hyperventilation in cable news land, this supposed racial brawl didn’t seem to generate any controversy whatsoever in what is known as the real world.

Eugene Robinson, the liberal black columnist at The Washington Post, wrote that he was “neither shocked nor outraged” at Reid’s less-than-articulate observation that Barack Obama benefited politically from being “light-skinned” and for lacking a “Negro dialect unless he wanted to have one.” Besides, Robinson said, Reid’s point was “surely true.” The black conservative Ward Connerly agreed, writing in The Wall Street Journal that he was “having a difficult time determining what it was that Mr. Reid said that was so offensive.”

President Obama immediately granted Reid absolution. A black columnist at The Daily News in New York, Stanley Crouch, even stood up for the archaic usage of “Negro.” George Will defended Reid from charges of racism as vociferously as Democrats did. Al Sharpton may have accepted Reid’s apology, but for once there’s no evidence that he ever cared enough to ask for one. So who, actually, was the aggrieved party here? What — or who — was really behind this manufactured race war with no victims?

It would be easy to dismiss the entire event as a credulous news media’s collaboration with a publisher’s hype for a new tell-all-gossip 2008 campaign book, “Game Change,” which breathlessly broke the Reid “bombshell.” But this is a more interesting tale than that. The true prime mover in this story was not a book publicist but Michael Steele, the chairman of the Republican Party and by far the loudest and most prominent Beltway figure demanding that Reid resign as Senate majority leader as punishment for his “racism.”

Steele is widely regarded as a clown by observers of all political persuasions, but he is clownish like a fox. His actions in this incident offer some hilarious and instructive insights into what’s going on in the Republican hierarchy right now as it tries to cope not just with our first African-American president but with a restive base embracing right-wing tea-party populism that loathes the establishment in both parties. And though Steele is black, and perhaps the most enthusiastic player of the race card in American politics today, race was a red herring in his Reid vendetta. It threw most everyone off the scent of his real motivation, which had nothing to do with black versus white but everything to do with green, as in money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/opini … ef=opinion

TMMasonposted 14 years ago

Just shows you what the left and democrats are all about. I mean anyone who has as a party hero such great leaders as, Strom Thurmund and Robert Byrd, and not to mention ole Harry, can't be all that bad. Eh?

Yup. Their true colors. Reminds me of the old days. When the KKK was the right wing of the left, in America. And they still are left as are Nazis.

Thank you, Dixie-Crats.

I wonder when peeps will figure out it was the Democrats. Who buried the 1965 civil rights and voting acts in subcommitees for a hundred years. Or they would have rightly been named the, 1865 civil rights and voting acts.

Ha. Funny.

I am proud that my country, and this is going to irratate alot of you history buffs, only tolerated the barbarity of Slavery, for less than a hundred years.

America is Great!!!...

As I recall Strom Thurmond about 40 years ago found his true home in the GOP.

No. He did not.

What you neglected to mention is that nearly all the Dixiecrats switched to the GOP thanks to the Nixon-Reagan "southern strategy."

3. Arthur Fontes profile image75

The Bush bashing thread is going strong this morning..

Except for TMMason all I hear is the silence of hypocrisy.

4. TMMason profile image59

Whoa.

The silence is deafening.

No one on the left has anything to say in response or commentary to this apology?

Huh!!

Good shot, Arthur

5. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

God save America !

lol lol lol

6. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

God saves at WalMart. big_smile

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

I better hurry then! there's one 40 min from home!

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

God knows that, he'll keep it open for you. big_smile

I'm running like Hell.
          lol

1. profile image0

He knows you're going there, too. big_smile

lol lol
              but he knows I'm  a double spy !
              lol

1. profile image0

You are Soooo on thin ice! lol

I'm an EXTREMIST !
                  love the EXTREME !
                  lol

2. OregonWino profile image60
      OregonWinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is my favorite quote for today!

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I was shocked at Reid's remark. I think perhaps he's a closet racist.

8. Mitch Rapp profile image60
    Mitch Rappposted 14 years ago

Of course there is a double standard, this is not proof of it, this is just more evidence of it.

1. OregonWino profile image60

There is always a double standard, on either side, it is human nature to defend what you believe.

9. Arthur Fontes profile image75

On December 20, 2002, after significant controversy following what were viewed by some as racially insensitive comments, and by others as respectful comments that did not reference race, regarding Strom Thurmond's presidential candidacy, Lott resigned as Senate Minority Leader in the Senate.
    MSNBC

DOUBLE STANDARD

10. Arthur Fontes profile image75

It was not long ago when people were willing to celebrate over the rumor that Rush Limbaugh was dead.  Some of you called him a racist.

Rush does not work for you!!

Harry Reid does.

Won't you defend him?

When Obama's Harvard buddy got arrested in Cambridge.  Were you calling the officer racist?

Typical

11. Mitch Rapp profile image60

You will never get any of this bunch to admit that their liberal heroes are racist, honesty is not a liberal strong suit.

Silence is the only answer I need.

I do not need acknowledgement.

I just want people to think of these things before throwing stones in their crystal palace.

12. Arthur Fontes profile image75

This is not going away no matter how much it is ignored.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.vi … eId=121393

13. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

This liberal just logged on and read your post.

First, let's get the facts straight.  The quote appears in a book entitled "Game Change" written by reporters Mark Halperin and John Heileman.  It is an account of the 2008 presidential campaign.  The quote is not from a book written by Harry Reid and not yet released as you claim.

As far as what Harry Reid said, I agree it sounds racist.  Harry Reid apologized for the remarks and Barack Obama accepted his apology.

You compare Harry Reid to Glenn Beck in your OP.  I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Glenn Beck ever apologizing to Barack Obama for this remark:

"This president I think has exposed himself over and over again as a guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture....I'm not saying he doesn't like white people, I'm saying he has a problem. This guy is, I believe, a racist." –on President Obama, July 28, 2009

1. OregonWino profile image60

I am pretty darn conservative, but Glenn Beck is a joke and it pains me that he is one of our supposed "heroes"

Why would Beck apologize? That's how he feels!

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whether or not he apologizes is up to him.  Mr. Fontes was comparing the two in his OP.  I was merely pointing out how they are different.  Get it?

Fine, so a politician who apologizes for seemingly racist remarks will be forgiven? I think someone may need to explain this to Trent Lott.

Exactly and if there was nothing wrong with what Harry Reid said as it is free speech why did he apologize.

1. profile image0

You are making no sense to me.  Of course it was free speech.  Harry Reid obviously thought something was wrong with what he said; hence the apology.  Others don't think there was anything wrong with what he said.  This is all very obvious.

Trent Lott??

1. profile image0

What about him?

Yes, its obvious alright.

2. profile image0

Maybe you should ask Trent Lott why he resigned.  It was his choice.

3. TMMason profile image59

Have you read Obama's book? He does not like white people. It is inferred heavily and repeatetively in his own writings.

1. profile image0

I have read "The Audacity of Hope" and I did not see what you saw.

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
          William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I doubt TM actually read Audacity.  He's just going by some quotes, taken out of context and placed on the internet.

Name a page, and I'll quote it. It, his book, is right here. get a life.

And the difference between my reading it, and yours. Is I did not possess a preconcieved notion, that the white man is the ill of all the world.

Now. Be a bunch of good lefties and go study.

And I haven't seen any rebuttals to my original remarks, interesting.

1. profile image0

Oh, and since I don't believe that "the white man is the ill of all the world" it would be hard for me to read any book with that preconceived notion.  Why would you think I believe that?  I have never once said it.

4. profile image0

What point in your original remarks did I fail to address?

Don't believe I was speaking to you, PP. Sorry. I am used to the same ole crowd of jibbers and jabbers commenting.

And I believe reid apologizing for the remark. Affirms he stated just what the quote said. And I haven't seen him deny it? Has he? I might've missed it.

14. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

Forgot to say, Harry Reid is not my hero.  I think he's done a barely competent job as majority leader.  If he were a Senator in my state, I would not vote for him for re-election unless his challenger appeared to be even worse.

15. OregonWino profile image60
    OregonWinoposted 14 years ago

Ok, the US elected a Black Muslim president...I think it is about time we put the race game to bed don't you?

1. creepy profile image56
      creepyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

democrats will never throw their ace in the hole away

16. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

that was in 2008 for petes sake

17. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

slow news day i suppose

18. Arthur Fontes profile image75

Why is the media outrage so silent over Reid's comments?  They were foaming at the mouth over Mr. Lott's statements.

1. profile image0

Silent?  Then how did you hear about it?  I heard about it on the news myself.

I saw it on Twitter that is the only place I know to get news from all sources worldwide.

19. Arthur Fontes profile image75

By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)
    January 9, 2010 - 19:51 ET   

Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) in 2002 agreed with former Sen. Trent Lott's (R-Miss.) decision to resign his leadership role after Lott made what some felt were racist remarks at former Sen. Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party.

"He had no alternative," said Reid at the time claiming, "If you tell ethnic jokes in the backroom, it's that much easier to say ethnic things publicly. I've always practiced how I play."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-shepp … z0cFoX9npI

1. profile image0

I am neither defending Reid nor excoriating Lott.  Lott chose to resign.  He knows why; I don't.

20. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It was on Canadian news yesterday also.

21. Arthur Fontes profile image75

Democrats were angry. Civil rights activist Jesse Jackson called for Lott to resign, and former Vice President Al Gore told CNN that the comment was "racist."

Issuing one of the harshest rebukes Lott has received to date, even from Democrats, Gore said Monday in an interview on CNN's "Inside Politics" that Lott should apologize for his comments or face censure by the Senate.
    CNN

The heat was a lot hotter for Mr. Lott!!

1. profile image0

Okay, I had to look up what Lott said because I couldn't remember.  In any case, if you are trying to say there is a double standard among Democrats, I am sure you are right.  As there is with Republicans.  If you are trying to say there is a double standard in the media, I'm not so sure you are right.   When Strom Thurmond ran for President, he was a segregationist, and this is what Lott said.

"I want to say this about my state. When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either."

Apparently, that sounds much worse to many people than what Harry Reid said.

22. Arthur Fontes profile image75

By Associated Press
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 - Added 9h ago

LAS VEGAS — Fifty-two percent of Nevadans had an unfavorable opinion of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and 33 percent had a favorable view, according to a statewide poll released Saturday.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal poll also found that Republican Sue Lowden had 50 percent to Reid’s 40 percent, while Republican Danny Tarkanian had 49 percent to Reid’s 41 percent.AP

Looks like Nevade is going to hand him his walking papers in November.  Could this be a PR stunt so Reid can resign quietly instead of being humiliated in an election?

23. Chef Robert profile image59
    Chef Robertposted 14 years ago

Reid to me is snake oil sale man. But, what I worry about is his bribery of other Senators for their vote and those Senators selling their vote and selling out the country.  They have broken the law, HONEST SERVICES FRAUD LAW 1988 and should be impeach before taken to court for trial. Is this what our so called elected official do?  I do not care what party they represent as both parties are aiding and abetting this crime.  What kind of government is it what wants RF implants in it citizens or if you do not buy their product you will be fined or jailed. There is more that they put in the so called health care bill.  But the truth is in the fact that other Senators have to be bribed to gain their vote.  Besides who wrote this 2000 page bill which your elected official did not read yet vote yes. Here in the Land Of Enchantment. Chef Robert

24. Arthur Fontes profile image75

@michaeljohns: Where is my friend Janeane Garofalo on the Harry Reid comments? Shockingly silent.

@JamesKotecki: If Harry Reid were a Republican, an apology would not be enough.

@DCbigpappa: Harry Reid Should Resign, based on Trent Lott/Don Imus Precedent Set By Liberals.

Some comments from twitter friends

25. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

I don't think we should be surprised by anything that any politician says. They often say whatever they think will boost themselves and their party politically, including, sadly, racist innuendo.

When voters start to hold them to a higher standard, instead of voting based on who has the most vicious attack ads, then we'll get a higher standard of behavior from them.

Just my thoughts.

26. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

From what I'm seeing, Reid was not attacking Obama for his skin color, but rather was commenting on the state of American racial politics.  The choice of words might have been poor, but it looks like he was saying that Obama had a better chance of getting elected than someone who had darker skin. 

That's not a racist attack on Obama.

27. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

http://www.huliq.com/1/90326/black-acti … t-comments

While Harry Reid's racist comments have earned him many political opponents from right and left, one African American rights activist say Reid may be right. In fact Reid may have meant the positive saying the country is not ready for an African American President and that his comments are an assessment of a voting not of a man.

28. TMMason profile image59

I Probrably should have differentiated btween peeps, but I am a lil busy.

29. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Thing is the world knows who Barrack Obama is
    but ask them who is Harry Reid ,ummmm

30. Arthur Fontes profile image75

This issue is hot this morning on the internet and radio.

31. Mitch Rapp profile image60

I just love people who claim that others are racist because they disagree with Obama or because they don't see Lotts words as racist. 2010 is gonna be fun for the Democrats,I wonder, how many of them actually survive the midterm of Obama, he is great for the Republican party!

We have an election soon in Massachusetts to replace Ted Kennedy's seat the republican Scott Brown has closed to within single digits in the polls.

The whole country is watching.

What? No Kennedy's left to fill that seat? That's a shame.

They tried to recruit his widow but she declined.

Being born and raised in Ma. I just don't see the Dem's letting go of that seat. Regardless of what they have to do, or of how they have to win it.

Scott Brown tried to raise $500,00 on twitter yesterday he ended up with 1.3 million.  There was a debate last night check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXVGD8jP1gY

Believe me. I hope he wims. I may go ahead to Mass. and vote for him. (Like the trick the dems used last presd. election.)

I would more than like to see Ma. become a red state. The Dems, liberals and their progressive cousins, have destroyed that state.

Don't hold your breath!

32. Petra Vlah profile image59
    Petra Vlahposted 14 years ago

"Much to do about nothing"!!!

33. Arthur Fontes profile image75

From the American Thinker:   http://ow.ly/16jy00

Harry Reid is developing a well-deserved reputation for playing the race card. Last month he accused opponents of his secret healthcare bill of being the same as those who opposed ending slavery. It was a highly objectionable historical analogy based on extremely flawed logic. Those who are fighting to stop ObamaCare are upholding the ideal of freedom -- from government intrusion, confiscatory taxation and oppressive debt.

Reid, liberal Democrat and Majority Leader of the U.S. Senate, has now admitted to a 2008 comment calling Obama "a light-skinned" African American "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."  Joe Biden said something similar during the presidential campaign when he opined that Barack Obama is "articulate, bright and clean."

Liberals wear their racial obsession as a badge of moral superiority. We are seeing the prideful dark side to their championing racial justice. It is noblesse oblige, the arrogant belief that minorities owe them so much -- their very lives and livelihoods -- that liberals are entitled to have their stereotypes and prejudices overlooked. The beneficence they have bestowed upon the seething masses of dark skinned people places liberal racial morality beyond question. Dark skin does not matter to Reid or his colleagues of course, but they are sufficiently enlightened to observe that it matters to the less sophisticated. Conservatives, "tea baggers" and those rural white folks who cling to their guns and Bibles are the ones we need to be concerned about, not the self-benighted liberal intelligentsia.

Perhaps not. Barbara "call me Senator" Boxer accused Harry Alford of the Black Chamber of Commerce of racial betrayal for not agreeing with the NAACP on Cap & Trade. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse said that the opponents of the liberals' healthcare reform were "white Aryan support groups." Jesse Jackson said that Rep. Arthur Davis is not a black man because he voted against the healthcare bill. Maureen Down accused George Bush of racism because he appointed "white men" to the Supreme Court. Nancy Pelosi accused Americans who showed up at the healthcare town hall meetings of being Nazis and racists. Long before President Obama turned the Prof. Gates incident into a racial issue, he made the still too little known statement in his autobiography, "white folks greed runs a world in need." He no doubt learned that little rhyme from his racist mentor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

The truth is that Harry Reid and his liberal cohorts are the very definition of racists. They do not see "minorities" as individuals, but as part of a faceless group of victims. Joe Biden and Harry Reid give us a clear picture of how liberals view black Americans: none too bright, not very clean, have very dark skin and speak Ebonics or jive, except for Obama and a few others. That is called racial stereotyping. Liberals deny they do this, but out of the abundance of their hearts, their mouths speak.

Conservatives on the other hand see people as individuals, not unwashed and victimized masses. They do not look upon black Americans as a group to be rescued, but as individuals to be respected -- or not -- based on character and ability. This view of life makes them far less susceptible to the racial obsession which drives liberals to politically correct madness. When Trent Lott made his infamous Strom Thurmond remark, most Republicans -- including then-President Bush -- refused to stand by him, Although in my view they overreacted, they were unwilling to rationalize or justify racist speech and behavior. They do not suffer from the delusion of liberals who see themselves as the privileged paragons of racial sensitivity.

Blacks will eventually wake up to the truth and break free from their emotional bondage to liberal Democrats. Unfortunately, with a media dedicated to their indoctrination, they will not do so sua sponte. Black business leaders, ministers, writers and commentators must begin to point out the hypocrisy of liberal racism and paternalism. Individuals and families within the black community must reject liberal and government largess and messianic political pretensions. The focus of black progress must become earning respect instead of playing the victim.

Liberals have assigned the victim role to black people, and Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and others, have taught many to play it well. It is time to reject that role, and say to Harry Reid and others who live in their liberal alternative universe, "You can no longer buy our silence or support by throwing us a few bones. We no longer want scraps from your elite table. We no longer want your affirmative action or your victim status. We want the earned respect and honor that comes with being Americans who work, produce and contribute to our society."

Then Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, Sheldon Whitehouse and others will find they can no longer use black people like pawns on a chess board. Their paternalistic bigotry will no longer be overlooked. The resignation of Harry Reid as Senate Majority leader would be a start.

E.W. Jackson Sr. is an American who happens to be black. He an author, minister, retired attorney and President of STAND [Staying True to America's National Destiny]; standamerica.us; Email:

Did not read but I can bet what it said:

Liberals blah blah blah bad.

Conservatives blah blah blah good. 

LOL.

As someone said earlier - Obama's not mad about it, why are you guys mad about it?

2. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

E.W. Jackson Sr. is proof positive that black people have alot of enemies out there far worst than poor little Harry Reid. I can't say the man made a poor choice of words. It was downright shocking to me that there are still White People alive that still call Black People Negros.(just had to check the spelling because I haven't seen the word in 30 years). So Harry Reid's comment was nothing more than amusing to most Black People. 

E.W. JACKSON SR. however, is insulting, demeaning, and giving the impression that he is a smart man, that is trying to free his "PO" "IGRANT" victimized Brothers and Sisters from the Democratic Party.

E.W. JACKSON SR. is a cheap opportunist that thinks the way alot of the leaders of the Tea Baggers Movement thinks.

E.W. JACKSON SR. thinks he is so smart; and the people he is addressing is so stupid, they would buy into his corny, wore out Republican Pitch lines from ten years ago. He's actually kinda Laughable too!

I think the article brought up some good points.  What do you thin of Kevin Jackson from theblacksphere.com?

1. Friendlyword profile image60

E.W. JACKSON SR./Kevin Jackson however, is insulting, demeaning, and giving the impression that he is a smart man, that is trying to free his "PO" "IGRANT" victimized Brothers and Sisters from the Democratic Party.

E.W. JACKSON SR./Kevin Jackson is a cheap opportunist(they got beat up too much or rejected too much by blacks) that thinks the way alot of the leaders of the Tea Baggers Movement thinks. They are educated fools, or they think the rest of us are stupid. Look at who they cater too.

Like Rev Al Sharpton said "Givin the alternative; I'm going to ride this donkey till I cant ride it no more"

Just a tad judgemental.  I am glad you are so vastly superior to them.  Congratulations

1. Friendlyword profile image60

Sorry, I dont even know what you mean when you say that. All I know is somebody's is trying to pee on my leg and call it Kool-aid. And I aint fallin for it.

For future reference: I'm not impressed!

Awww Geeeez I was trying so hard to inpress you too  NOT!!!!!

In sum, E.W. is an Uncle Tom.

I thought he was a human being with rights to his own opinion.

Perfect example of hypocrisy lol

I didn't say he's not a human being with a right to his own opinion. I said he's an Uncle Tom which is what people like him are commonly called.

34. Arthur Fontes profile image75

William I could care less what Reid said about Obama. I am just shocked by the hypocrisy.  Trent Lott was skewered by the left.

I don't remember what happened with Trent Lott.  I wasn't one of the ones doing the skewering. 

Trent Lott says something: attacked by the opposition, defended by his party. 

Reid says something: attacked by the opposition, defended by his party. 

I don't see hypocrisy here, I see politics as usual.

I think this is leading up to a Reid resignation as he has almost no chance to be reelected in Nevada.  This way he can bow out gracefully and have some Margarita's with Dodd next year.

I'll give you 2:1 odds on that one. Reid did no more than speak the truth, albeit in a tactless, insensitive way. He won't be crucified for that. Does anyone think Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson could have been elected?

I'll take the bet if you include Harry Reid will not be in office in 2012 under any circumstances.

35. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Too bad you can't get Obama to apologize for his racist comments and then ask him to resign. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDaO7N-J … re=related

Obama never spoke about Jesse Jackson Jr's statements.

Hmm.  I watched the video.  Somehow I'm not all that shocked.  Or even offended. 

Nice music though.

The music rocks.

36. Arthur Fontes profile image75

http://theblacksphere.net/negro-dialect/

This is an article written for The Black Sphere by my twitter friend Kevin Jackson.

You all know Kevin Jackson right.

37. greensnob profile image61
    greensnobposted 14 years ago

I have to jump in here because I cannot give anymore time to these wonderful reponses and replies to each other over the first N-word, Negro, that culturally preceded the present N-word. The hypocrisy is that the black man has been firmly embedded in the American subconscious through our collective inability to accept him and reverse all prejudiced and hateful remarks and actions against him that (all of us) have had to endure throughout our history. I am happy that these societal gaffs take place because it gets everyone talking, but not necessarily thinking correctly. Mr. Reid only suffered from a delayed reaction (about 50 years) to speaking up for Blacks' struggle in politics and didn't have well a oiled tongue for  expressing his revelation. I thought his point was a good point and an honest observation as shocking as it sounded.

Dialogue is always a good thing.  The uproar is how the left dealt with Trent Lott.  There is a double standard.

1. greensnob profile image61
        greensnobposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I live in Louisiana. We all new what Trent Lott meant.

38. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

"Dialogue is always a good thing.  The uproar is how the left dealt with Trent Lott.  There is a double standard."

My recollection is that Trent Lott's remark was more offensive. I'll try to look it up. He was praising Strom Thurmond, one of the biggest racists in Congress in the 20th century, as I recall. Here's a report on Lott's boo-boo:

"In 2002, at a birthday party for noted segregationist/longtime Republican Senator Strom Thurmond, Lott said this: “I want to say this about [Mississippi, which Lott represented]: When Strom Thurmond ran for president [in 1948, as a Dixiecrat], we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn’t have had all these problems over all these years, either.”

"Though it’s a little vague what exactly “these problems” Lott was referring to are, it doesn’t require the largest of cognitive leaps to reach the following conclusion: that Lott’s remarks looked fondly upon segregation. Lott resigned over his comments--and now, roughly 8 years later, Republicans, including Steele, are comparing Lott’s comments to Reid’s, saying that Reid must resign like Lott did or else risk looking hypocritical."

Reid's remark, thus, is not comparably offensive as Trent Lott's. There is no double standard. Anyway, why would you expect the Dems to react exactly the same way for their Speaker as they did for the GOP speaker or minority leader whatever Lott's position was.

This is classic liberal tactic, take what Lott said and apply what he "REALLY" meant. It means  the reader never has to think for themselves.

39. Arthur Fontes profile image75

Ralph do we have a bet!!!!

We sure do!

Harry Reid will not be a member of the senate in 2012.  OK

Ok but the bet's off if some whackjob shoots him or he drops dead of a heart attack.

Deal!!!!

40. Arthur Fontes profile image75

(Problem) Harry Reid apologizes for something he said one year ago.

(Reaction) The right foams at the mouth because of Lott.

(Solution) Harry bows out gracefully so he does not have to face the humiliation of being steamrolled by his constituents in 2012.

I know how the process works.

Ralph?

From what I read yesterday, you may be right. He's about to be tea bagged in his own home state.

41. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i know, right?

Gee I am glad I mis-understood that book I didn't read. I almost thought Oby didn't like me.

You never cease to amaze, Cosette. smile

42. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Does it strike anyone else as curious that the accusations of racism against Harry Reid are all coming from conservatives and not from the African-American community? Juan Williams, an African-American whose comments can be heard on Fox News as well as NPR, commented this morning on NPR that he hadn't heard any criticism of Reid from anyone in the black community. (I guess he doesn't count Steele as a member of the black community!) Williams also pointed out that discussions of shades of skin color had been a part of the dialog in the black community dating all the way back to the days of slavery. His attitude about Reid's comment, which he termed "inelegant" was "ho hum."

43. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

well, Ralph, it just goes to show you, Black people can say anything they want about skin color and race but if a White person even HINTS at that topic, he gets called a racist for life.

By conservatives who have opposed every piece of legislation which was designed to protect minority rights and improve the position of disadvantaged Americans of all races.

This is what I mean, never admit that the Democrats have made racially insensitive comments just blame conservatives. That's why Democrats lose in 2010.

44. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

I read the book Game Change.  The book itself stipulates that much of the information is based on recreation of events and second hand knowledge but alot is supported by fact.  I doubted that until Reid began apolgizing right and left.  Now it makes me wonder how much of the rest is true.  Recommended reading by me if that counts for anything.

45. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 14 years ago

"And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either," Lott said.

Yeah, because there would still be Apartheid in America, right Trent?

Maybe Harry Reid's comments were politically incorrect, but there is no way he can be compared to racist Trent Lott. 

These were the good old days?!!!

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/lb_evans/racism.jpg

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Noticed no mention of Clinton's 'he would be serving us coffee' remark.  Of course, being the first 'black' president, he gets a pass I suppose.  You'll also notice that Teddy never mentioned the remark either.  Hmmmmmm

I do not think Clinton's remark was a race comment.  It was an experience comment.

1. tobey100 profile image61
          tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You may have been serious but THAT'S funny! big_smile

2. profile image0
          Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of African Americans like Bill Clinton and still do.

I disagreed with Bill on a few things but overall and as a person I like him too.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
          Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I commented to someone once who I went on a trip to England with that so many people of color were serving in tearooms, in service roles, etc. I meant it to mean how unfair I saw it, she took it as racist. I take Clinton's remark that way also.

Very true! Trent Lott was one of the good ole boys from Mississippi, an acolyte of arch-racist Senator James Eastland.

46. Mitch Rapp profile image60

"Maybe Harry Reid's comments were politically incorrect, but there is no way he can be compared to racist Trent Lott."

Yes he can and is, sad I know, but very true.

1. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know, it's true, even black people can be white supremacists.  That is a fact!  Black people know about the dark-skinned vs light-skinned issue, and how even some blacks show preferential treatment toward the latter.  And the other statement was about the black dialect.  Speaking "black" is viewed as being rough around the edges, just like speaking "hillbilly."  Harry Reid was just pointing out that Obama has all the desirable traits to get white votes.  That's just the way life is in our society.

Is that why Allen Keyes was not elected?

1. getitrite profile image71
          getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Although I disagreed with Keyes' positions...but, yes this was also a factor. The same with Jesse Jackson, who I consider should never be elected to anything.  But these traits that Reid spoke of are always a factor.

Colin Powell could have gotten elected, however.

1. creepy profile image56
            creepyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wasnt a factor with me but i tend to be a non racist

1. profile image0

Newsflash: There are racists in all ethnic groups. African Americans can tolerate politicians like Harry Reid who vote for legislation they favor.

Remember Obama is half-white and was literally raised by his white mother and her parents. So I think it will be hard for him to be a racist especially with several members of his family from various ethnic backgrounds.

Alan Keyes was not nominated because he's to the right of Atilla the Hun.

47. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

its american african . not the other way . if it is then go to africa . see how they welcome you . your in for a suprise. african dont care that much for afro american.

48. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

unless you were born in africa . your american . its not rocket science

49. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

bush put more blacks into high gov positions than any other prez

1. profile image0

I guess that is a nice consolidation prize for the Iraq War, Great Recession that began in December 2007, and the transformation of a projected $1.5T surplus to a major deficit; leaving Obama with no choice but to further increase the deficit to keep the economy functioning somewhat until the other two pillars of spending (business and consumer) return.

50. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

but african americans seem to  forget that

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)