Who have visited other countries and what was your experience like?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. cmlindblom profile image70
    cmlindblomposted 12 years ago

Who have visited other countries and what was your experience like?

I have traveled to many different countries. Some were good and some were bad. Where have you been and how was it for you?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6035205_f260.jpg

2. Expert Gardener profile image56
    Expert Gardenerposted 12 years ago

I have been to many countries also but I have found out that Philippines is the best especially the beaches are out of this world. Actually I have made  a good hub about it: http://expertgardener.hubpages.com/hub/ … hilippines

3. anjperez profile image65
    anjperezposted 12 years ago

USA - high standard of living, theme parks, friday night dinners
    South Korea - very corporate, it's scary when people talk in their language. it feels like that wanna fight you. but no they are just talking.
    Thailand - much like our place only they have those artistic roof in their house (don't know how to call them)
    China - history. a lot of potential

4. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

I would love to do more traveling!

As a kid, growing up, we would camp by the Rio Grande in Big Bend Park, Texas. Occasionally, we'd go into Mexico for a traditional Mexican lunch or dinner. Makes my mouth water to think about it.

I've been to Lisbon, Portugal (passing through the airport).

I've been to Spain: a beautiful country with beautiful, friendly people. Madrid was clean, ancient mixed with modern and a delightful experience. Malaga had charm, Mediterranean warmth and polished, red granite sidewalks. My Spanish wasn't that great, but I felt genuine warmth from the people with whom I talked.

I visited Spanish Morocco for several days, too. Not much to do, but lots of sun and beach. Dined on fried mariscos and cerveza. Yum. In the morning, I wanted leche sin cafe with my pastry; they looked at me like I was nuts.

England was beautiful for scenic beauty and Old World charm, even in a London train station, but the people in public places seemed a bit stuffy and distant, unlike Spain. But leaving the metropolitan stuffiness for Sussex, people seemed more open. Stayed in an old manor house with a 300-year-old dungeon. How cool is that!

Years later, stayed two months in Thailand. Hot and sweltering in the capital, but Pattaya was much nicer -- cool sea breezes. Love the spicy food (some a bit too spicy). Kao min gai, tom yum soup and rad nha were my favorites.

And now, for the past four years, I've lived in the Philippines. My favorite dish is kinilaw tangigue -- a raw fish, vegetables, spices and rice dish. Lovely beaches, some modern cities and a lot of poverty. But the people are friendly, for the most part.

5. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Germany - Short but sweet. France - Wonderful, enchanting, graceful, entertaining. England - Only Oxford was welcoming, the rest was horrible. Disliked dreary, old London. And their fish and chips are not cooked right. They can kiss their sparkling water goodbye. Mexico - Fine for two days but no more. Heat and irritating people. Wonderful beaches, gorgeous Myan ruins. Romania - Wonderful place, desire to visit Dracula's castle again during the festival season.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I'm a Texan, and so I've been to Mexico several times.  Once I stayed with a friend, and his family at my friend's grandmother's house in Monterrey, Mexico for about a week.

You can't really get an idea about Mexico from Monterrey though - it's the most wealthy city in Mexico; but yet is still not a "tourist city."

Almost every house that I visited in Monterrey Mexico...before you would enter the actual living space of whoever owned the home, there would always be a foyer where something or another was sold.

In other words - everyone had a side business where they sold something or another from their homes there....not "everyone" but you get the idea.

I also have spent a day or two in Juarez, Mexico...it's practically the same place as El Paso, the only difference is a flag and a river between them, and the prosperity associated with a US city.

US/Mexican border cites are very dangerous places - and this is ENTIRELY because the global oligarchs and the absolute idiots of the USA enforce a drug prohibition that is a total odds with American drug consumption.

Pharmaceutical corporations advertise their drugs, and urge you to ask your doctor about those drugs - and that is seen as "safe" or "good business." - but the USA is either the only country in the world that allows such idiotic and pathetic   unethical practices, or one of the only two or three nations.

The American drug hypocrisy has created the violence and is responsible for the murders associated with Mexican drug cartels in not only the border cities of Mexico, but throughout the USA.

Oh I've been to Canada....but only for a half hour or so...the Canadian Mounted Border Dudes said something or another to Dad, and Dad misunderstood....and drove right on through....we were stopped, and the trunk of the Ford Thunderbird that someone ran a stop sign, destroyed, and kept on going as I fruitlessly attempted to chase a 95 Chevy truck on foot....was searched, and our luggage was discovered.

7. ithabise profile image72
    ithabiseposted 12 years ago

Lived in Japan for a year. The people are extremely hospitable to "gaijins". Japan is a land of contrasts, like great affinity with nature and the earth but eye-opening city life. The cities are unique and unlike clean, brassy American cities: a mixture of the old and new. The people have a strong work ethic but love to play just the same. Very ordered way of life and the Confucian ethic governs all. Japanese food is the "food of the gods" as they'd have you think (certainly far healthier and tastier than in the U.S.) And Japan really is a middle-class nation, no poverty to be seen.

Visited France. Much more familiar way of life. Trendy, urbane, and relaxed. The people seem heady... analytic. I sense that the French are proud of their land and customs. The cities are regal and historic. So need to return!

8. MissDoolittle profile image58
    MissDoolittleposted 12 years ago

Hi there,

I live in the South East of the UK, but have travelled to a few places around the world, and a few of them I'll discuss here.

The most fascinating place I've been to is Jamaica. It was a wonderfully weird experience if that makes sense. It's such a beautiful island, and the people are so welcoming and cannot do enough for you. On the coach journey from the airport we drove past some of the locals living conditions, which are literally metal huts - I'm not joking. Bearing in mind that temperatures often reach over 30 degrees and when the sun beats down on those roofs all day, the people often have to walk around naked. They bathed in the stream that ran past their huts, and also drank this water. It was an eye opener, for sure. On the other hand, I did some once in a lifetime trips there, such as swimming with dolphins and sting rays, and also doing white water rafting - where the driver of the mini-bus was high on drugs.

More recently I went to Bali. That was sensational. A lot of the people are very poor but they are very accomodating. I went to the monkey sanctuary there where the monkeys roam around freely, which is so different from usual animal places.

Other places I've been to are Antigua, Singapore, Dominican Republic, Ibiza, Spain, South of France, Tenerife and a few places in the UK.

9. Danette Watt profile image82
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

Great question!  When I was growing up in Michigan, we lived across the border from Canada so we went there frequently - doesn't really count for those of us in the border states.

Was stationed in Panama for a year and that was interesting, got to go through the Canal but didn't see any side countries. I met up with my husband when he did a WestPac so I was able to see the Philippines (enjoyed it) Thailand (that was ok) Hong Kong, Singapore and does the Tokyo airport count? Also Mexico (Tijuana when stationed in San Diego and a couple stop overs while on a cruise).

Would love to do more traveling and on my list are Greece/Italy, and Scotland/Ireland. Europe would be ok too.  Visiting another country definitely makes you appreciate the US for a lot of reasons.

10. Hezmyjoy profile image61
    Hezmyjoyposted 12 years ago

I thank God for America! I lived in Germany, Taiwan, and various parts of the United States. I have seen the reports on the news and the way different cultures deem things as being normal. I thank God for America!

11. lilian_sg profile image64
    lilian_sgposted 12 years ago

I have visited various countries like Australia, China, Thailand, France and Italy before and it has been great so far. Of course, not everything will go to plan but isn't that part of the fun? So despite some bad memories of certain places overall, travel to all the countries have been amazing!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)