jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When is the best time of year to take an Alaskan cruise?

1. rmcrayne profile image97
    rmcrayneposted 6 years ago

When is the best time of year to take an Alaskan cruise?

When is the best weather, least crowds, and most whales?

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image96
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

Great question - you wouldn't  want to go to the trouble and expense during the off season. My goal would be to go when there's enough thaw happening to perhaps see an iceberg calve.  It would be incredible to see an act of nature first hand. I'm not sure what months that would be, but that's when I'd want to be there.

I think whales might need warmer weather - so whichever you prefer to see. Sounds like a great trip!

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 6 years ago

Depends.  Whenever you travel, you are taking risks with the weather, anyway.  May starts the season, and about late September closes it.  You cannot rely on the weather, so be prepared.  It could be raining like crazy or it could be calm.  Last year, when it was pouring down rain in California (May), it was sunny the whole time we were in Alaska.  Go figure.  The people said that we had brought good weather with us because Alaska seldom has sun in May.  But have a good time, anyway.  If you are a shopper, get your deals in May, when the vendors open their shops or in September, when they are preparing to close for the winter.  Don't be afraid to name your price!

4. profile image49
    sarageoposted 6 years ago

The months of May-September are the best months to cruise as far as price.  But June and July offer the longest and  warmest days.  With either option, there will be plenty to do and see. The sites of Alaska are absolutely SPECTACULAR.