jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would Alaska live up to my expectations?

1. itakins profile image85
    itakinsposted 6 years ago

Would Alaska live up to my expectations?

I have always had a romantic view of Alaska-would I be pleased or disappointed if I visited there.?

2. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 6 years ago

From everyone I spoke to that did the cruise were SO NOT disappointed. And their enthusiasm has sparked a travel bug in me to put it on my bucket list.

3. homesteadbound profile image89
    homesteadboundposted 6 years ago

I think that would really depend on what your expectations are and where you went in Alaska to meet those expectations. It is a huge state. Many different people have different ideas or romance. Some would consider the vast wilderness to be romantic, especially snuggled in an igloo with someone they loved. Others would need more amenities available to them or they would feel themselves in hardship rather than romance. I would imagine that some part of Alaska will meet whatever romantic notions are important to you - you just have to know where to look.

4. dlalvinson profile image59
    dlalvinsonposted 6 years ago

I lived there ten years. Most of that time I lived in 'metropolitan' Anchorage. Two years were spent in a 'bush' village. My entire experience was memorable though some of my memories as a fairly long term resident are negative.
    As a tourist destination, Alaska is super. The costs of lodging and such are very reasonable in Anchorage and Fairbanks, but if you go to the 'wilderness' costs can rise exponentially. And, speaking of wilderness, even if heading out from Anchorage, wild scenes and settings are just a short drive away. Wildlife is readily visible, outdoor activities many and breath taking beauty is around every curve in the road.
    The negatives to a resident are just personal. Though I loved the looong summer days, I grew weary of the long, dark winters. I also missed family as no one followed us up there and our kids began heading to the lower forty eight as they left the nest.