jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)

What type of souvenirs do you purchase on vacation?

1. BSloan profile image74
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

What type of souvenirs do you purchase on vacation?

When you go on vacation, what are your favorite souvenirs to purchase?

2. profile image74
    Annabelle Tylerposted 5 years ago

Magnets. They're small and easy to pack. I've got quite a collection from the various cities I've visited.

3. NC4Life078 profile image87
    NC4Life078posted 5 years ago

Things that are interesting and native to their culture. My wife collects key chains and since I would often travel I would buy them for her. I must say it is very interesting to see the differences between their cultures.

Personally, I enjoy collecting hats. You can wear some every day if you like, but, some cultures hats seems outlandish to visitors so those are more of just a story. This story may go into the origins of how they came about. It is facinating to learn so much from just a small item.

4. Steve West profile image80
    Steve Westposted 5 years ago

My wife and I will usually gather spices or jellies (jams). We love traveling to the islands and bringing back seasonings to use in marinades and cooking. Jerk seasonings and guava jellies are a couple of our favorites.

5. iheartkafka profile image67
    iheartkafkaposted 5 years ago

I'm a big coffee drinker, so I love mugs. But, I usually try to avoid the typical touristy souvenirs (the mugs excluded of course). I like to buy something that culture is known for or that you can only get in that particular region.

6. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I collect spoons and shot glasses from places I have visited. So I always get those and a few other items that can only be found in those locations that make the items unique.

BSloanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I also enjoy collecting spoons.  wink

2. lburmaster profile image82
      lburmasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes! I was wondering if anyone else did...

7. lee custodio profile image86
    lee custodioposted 5 years ago

magnets. affordable, colorful, and a constant reminder everytime i open my fridge of the adventures i had on visiting those places

8. bdegiulio profile image99
    bdegiulioposted 5 years ago

For me it's usually just postcards.  I did buy some belts once in Italy but that was more an exception than the norm.  My wife will bring back items that are of local interest to the area we are visiting such as wine or olive oil.

I also love the postcards which I use in our photo album.  smile

9. Jonbwb profile image60
    Jonbwbposted 5 years ago

I also like to get magnets. This way I can have a little memory of my vacation every time i look at the fridge!

10. tsulliva profile image60
    tsullivaposted 5 years ago

Shot Glasses and tee shirts from my favorite party places, sand in a bottle and jewelry from beach resorts,  Balloon animals or stuffed animals for the kids.

11. dontaytte profile image75
    dontaytteposted 5 years ago

something that is a symbol of that state or city that I'm in at that time.

12. purgejunk profile image56
    purgejunkposted 5 years ago

When my family and I drove cross country a couple of years ago, we decided to keep our souvenirs simple and purchased patches.  Every national park we visited had a patch.  It is on my "to do" list, but I am going to make a denim quilt and attach the patches that we got on the trip.  That way I have something that I will use that will remind me of our adventures and not something I have to dust.  On the trips I have taken to a foreign country, I pick up a locally made piece of pottery to use in my kitchen.

What a great idea you have for the quilt.  That is something memorable of all the places you have visited.

13. icepricessa profile image64
    icepricessaposted 5 years ago

Keychains, bookmarks, food, and anything interesting.

14. lilian_sg profile image74
    lilian_sgposted 5 years ago

My top choice is local food. I usually try to get something which is easy to bring across immigration and will not spoil easily. Food is one good way to introduce a foreign culture to your friends too!