When you travel on a plane do you book your own flights online or go through an

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)
  1. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

When you travel on a plane do you book your own flights online or go through an agent ?

If you book online what site do you prefer for domestic and international flights ? What tips do you have for booking flights in the USA or anywhere else ?
    We are looking at traveling a lot next year and would love to know who others go through.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7317027_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Use Kayak. They've been the best we have tried.

1. freecampingaussie profile image62
      freecampingaussieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks will check their flights out

3. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Own flights. Why would anyone pay an agent to do what they can do themselves? It's a waste of money! Look at the companies you like the most. Continental, Southern Airlines, etc. You should already know what days you intend to leave and return, so have those dates at hand. Look up the times you have written down with the two or three airline companies you prefer. Rate the pro's and con's of each one including prices, regulations, availability, baggage restrictions, etc. Which airline fits the qualifications you need? Pick that one.

4. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

I use the comparison sites first such as Priceline to get an idea of costs.  You can plug in your dates arrival & departures, price, car rental, hotel information, etc. at one time.  They are pretty quick at posting options and suggetions for travel, including dates surrounding your preferred information.  Then, I check the official site of the airline that has the cheapest results to see if the price is better directly from them.  Some people I know use internet options where they can name a price at a certain airline and they get back to you when it is available.  It pays to research, plan well in advance as the closer to the date - the higher the ticket price on the same flight.

5. charmike4 profile image66
    charmike4posted 11 years ago

Great question freecampingaussie. My preference is to book domestic air myself (I usually just use the Qantas website to book).  For international I almost exclusively use a travel agent unless I am using frequent flyer points.  The good thing about agents is if they get it wrong they pay, not you. Also they know all of the tips and traps about booking in areas that we fly less frequently from.
    If you are a member of a motoring club (eg AAA, AA, NRMA, RAC, etc) they normally have a travel agent area that give discounts to members as well as special deals.  Worth checking out to save money and to get great advice and service. Cheers Michael

6. profile image0
    Kerry43posted 11 years ago

I have always used my same travel agent in Australia, even from here in the U.S. He knows what I want and always takes very good care of my needs because he knows I will be back, and that I will also refer my friends and family. I would be lost without him.

7. annart profile image82
    annartposted 11 years ago

We always book our own and search around for the cheapest/best and weigh up the pros and cons.  Sometimes we ask our local travel agent what might be the best idea, as they're 'in the know' after all but it's rare to get something from them which is anywhere near as cheap or good as we find ourselves.  We go a lot by friends' recommendations too.  Hope you find some good deals!

8. lilian_sg profile image64
    lilian_sgposted 11 years ago

Generally I book online by myself without going through agents. I usually check out the websites of the budget airlines which are having promotions. I also sign up for newsletters to airlines which I like such as Emirates, Cathay Pacific etc so that I will know firsthand if they are any promo flights.

9. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

I haven't flown international for 2 decades, however, on domestic I usually try to go through each airlines I travel with to compare prices before deciding.  What I look for when traveling in the U.S., besides price, is convenience.  If I have a lot of time I will take a flight that has a layover.  If I don't I will take a direct flight.  The airlines I usually take in the southeast/northeast region is Delta or U.S. Air.   Enjoy!  Planning is as much fun as going.

10. Globetrekkermel profile image63
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

I usually book everything on line.flights, hotels ,car rentals , even tours

11. Simba Mutiba profile image60
    Simba Mutibaposted 9 years ago

i want to add that console fares are what travel agents offer thats why fares are cheaper than airline websites like http://www.flightsinternationaluk.co.uk offers cheap console fares.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)