jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why are you thankful for living in America?

1. starstream profile image79
    starstreamposted 5 years ago

Why are you thankful for living in America?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Because everything here is so convenient. If I want something, I go buy it. If I need something, I go buy it.

3. Kimberly Vaughn profile image84
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years ago

I am so thankful to live in a country where I can speak freely, vote, and make my own choices. I am thankful that we feel safe. I am thankful that my son can grow up in a country where he has a roof over his head, food to eat each day, clothes to wear, and access to medical care. I am thankful that he can be whatever he wants to be if he sets his mind to it.

4. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I'm thankful that I was raised in peace, and I'm very thankful that my children were raised in peace, with enough food and shelter (etc.) that they could grow up healthy and strong.

Other than that, that's kind of it.  Unlike someone else who answered here, I have not been able to pursue my own happiness, make my own choices, see my Constitutional rights protected, have the freedom to come and go as I please; and in many ways and at many times, speak freely.

I've never been informed that I committed some crime (even without knowing it), and besides what SHOULD BE obvious to anyone around me (in offline life), I have in my possession a report that says "no signs of mental illness".  In fact, I went through the whole screening process in order to be able to work for the Federal government for awhile (I needed the job and the money and didn't have the luxury of caring where my paycheck came from.)  It turns out that all it takes to have the police come and get you in America (at least where I live) is to have a couple of people tell authorities "they're worried about you" (when you leave a marriage and they don't understand it); and while I can't really say that anyone who works in The System personally did "illegal search and seizure" associated with my personal business (finances, etc.) and personal belongings; I can tell you that there is no protection against having others in our lives (including having the freedom to go into our homes, go through our stuff, and un-do the homes we've arranged for our children; and there are no laws that protect a person's rights to keep his personal business (between him and The System) private, rather than have The System drag anyone (and everyone) it deems into a situation (including neighbors).  The person who is reasonably happily living her life (with the exception of having marriage issues that need to be addressed) and who discovers herself the focus of a few police cars and herself being picked up out of the blue does not feel at all safe for a very long time, and even then will never feel quite safe unless/until she gets certain reassurances that may never come.

HOWEVER, having said what I know a whole lot of people won't even believe or understand, the degree of thankfulness I have for being able to have my children grow up with enough food (etc.) and the security of overall peace shouldn't be underestimated.

I don't bring this up as a victim - only want to create awareness of what can/does happen here.

working