jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

I was thinking of moving to Florida, are the mosquitoes really the size of Hummi

1. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I was thinking of moving to Florida, are the mosquitoes really the size of Hummingbirds?

Everybody's first reaction if I mention moving to Florida is the number and size of the bug. So, tell me Floridian's, is it really that bad?

2. KDeus profile image94
    KDeusposted 5 years ago

There have been lots of mosquitoes, but I've never seen anything that close! This summer was worse than past years for mosquitoes. In recent weeks, I've only seen a few. The largest I've seen are about the size of a quarter (wing span included). Hope this helps!

Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So, are they there year-round? Do you like living in Florida?

2. KDeus profile image94
      KDeusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They're not usually year round. They were everywhere this summer, but I've only seen a few in recent weeks - one small one this weekend while camping. The temps have been cooler which has helped. Like it except the hot summers.

3. SherryDigital profile image60
    SherryDigitalposted 5 years ago

I'm originally from Florida and have spent most of my adult life living as far away as possible. My fare Irish skin can not handle the heat, humidity and bug bites. My dog even loses all of her fur from allergies everytime we step inside the state. The only thing that kept me sane while living in Forida was the occasional dip in a fresh water spring and thunderstorms.

If you are seriously considering moving to Florida then I truly believe at being a Snowbird is the ONLY way to go. The weather is lovely from November through April. Why not rent out your current home and have the best of both worlds?

Best of luck!

4. GNelson profile image77
    GNelsonposted 5 years ago

The joke is that mosquitoes are the state bird.  The reallity is that mosquitoes are no different in Florida.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Not really the size. Just the amount. Always wear bug repellent or you will have so many bites that you will have spots dancing in your vision. But do move to Florida. I miss living there.

6. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 5 years ago

Hi Sherry,
    We live in the Orlando Area and I can safely conclude that our mosquitoes are significantly smaller than those Miami Mamouth (M & M) Mosquitoes; however, if you move to Northern Ontario remember that although the mosquitoes are as small as they are in Florida, their black flies although quite small, travel in packs of millions and could be considered the ultimate minions. During World War II there were a few prisoner of war facilities in Northern Ontario, there was no need for fencing... When a prisoner escaped he either parished or came running back to camp painfully itching himself...
    I did once see a dragonfly yet I did not see where he eventually came back to earth...

7. jenbeach21 profile image79
    jenbeach21posted 5 years ago

I currently live in Florida and have lived here my whole life. I have never seen mosquitoes that big. There are alot of them and can cause alot of bites without the use of repellents. The worst time is during the summer and it tends to get better in the cooler months but even in December we still have a few. My kids were playing outside yesterday and were getting bit!

8. Denise Handlon profile image91
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

No, Sherry...that place is actually Alaska.  Believe me, I was there to experience it!

Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LOL I have seen the mosquitoes in Alaska. They are indeed large and plentiful.