jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do you believe that ground hog's day has any bearing on the length of winter?

1. Goody5 profile image67
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

Do you believe that ground hog's day has any bearing on the length of winter?

2. point2make profile image80
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

There is no scientific  connection with ground hog day and the length of winter. It is pure superstition. Whether the rodent sees his shadow or not.,...if you live anywhere in Canada or the northern US , the winter is going to be at least 6 more weeks and probably much more  than that.

3. flacoinohio profile image82
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

No more than using a wooly bear caterpillar to determine how long winter is going to be.

4. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 5 years ago

Absolutely not, but it sure is a fun folk lure tradition to be a part of.  I've never been to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania for the celebration of Ground Hog's Day, but I always thought I wanted too.  I guess the movie sort of inspired this notion.  Of course, I wouldn't want to be like Bill Murray living the same day over until he got it right.

5. cloverleaffarm profile image75
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

No, I do not believe. Winter is from Dec 21 through March 21. It doesn't matter if the ground hog sees his shadow or not. It's foolish to think a groundhog (or any other animal) can shorten the season. While it is a fun tradition, there is always 6 more weeks of winter.

6. tillsontitan profile image86
    tillsontitanposted 5 years ago

No, but look at all the fun had on a bleak day in February!   It sure has spurred lots of good thoughts, movies and parties.  Go ground hog!

7. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 5 years ago

Hey....it's a fifty/fifty chance....who bets on those odds except those who believe that it does have something to do with the length of winter.  Not me!  ~WB

8. johndnathan profile image82
    johndnathanposted 5 years ago

What a ridiculous question to ask!  Of course it has a bearing on the length of winter!  Any fool can blindly see that the effect of the shadow on the ground affects the central nervous system of the groundhog, causing a chain reaction resulting in either six more weeks of winter or the end of life as we know it!  Thankfully the latter only has a 0.000000000001% chance of happening. 

But for those that get a chance to see the hidden world underground they would find a network of tubes, weather monitoring equipment, and groundhog meteorologists all working together for the good of all mankind by predicting the weather and guarding us from the dreaded doomsday device that is set to destroy us all in a cataclysmic whirlwind of nuclear devastation.

Clearly what I am saying is going over the heads of the simple-minded people of this fair planet Earth, however do not scoff at the tumultuous terror that is teetering to topple the delicate balance of nature and thermonuclear war!

9. Curiad profile image78
    Curiadposted 5 years ago

Have you ever been to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania? The people there surely believe in the effect. Their hearts are warmed by the tourists flocking to the town and spending their cash!

Mark

10. ByChanceTV profile image60
    ByChanceTVposted 5 years ago

Without A Doubt... Groundhog Day and his little shadow is '"The"' Deciding factor in the length of winter..!

11. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Actually, I think there might be a connection. The original hibernating animals that were observed - the bear and badger - might just have a clue we could follow. To learn more, please read my latest hub: http://sidkemp.hubpages.com/hub/What-is … -and-Movie .

12. kidscrafts profile image84
    kidscraftsposted 5 years ago

Not really!  I think it gives some people hope to see the end of winter :-)

13. rjbatty profile image83
    rjbattyposted 5 years ago

Unless there is some unknown ether that surrounds us, I'd have to say, no, that the ritual is just a fun superstition, with no basis in science.

working