jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

What do you think how Rapa Nui people moved gigantic Easter Island statues?

1. ameliam.michelle1 profile image77
    ameliam.michelle1posted 4 years ago

What do you think how Rapa Nui people moved gigantic Easter Island statues?

I was reading an article on Easter Island statues and was totally absorbed by it. They have always fascinated me, but even more fascinating was the theories related to the actual 'transportation' of those statues. What is your opinion on this?

2. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 4 years ago

As with the erection of Stonehenge in Wiltshire (UK), archaeologists have shown the possibility of moving the huge Sarsen stones on large wooden sledges. Although there are precious few trees on Easter Island now, at one time - I read - these were all used for building homes, ships and fires. Some could have been used for building sledges to transport the carved statues.

ameliam.michelle1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hey Alan, I didn't know about that, but still it is too bizarre to be true, seems totally unbelievable, don't you think?

2. alancaster149 profile image85
      alancaster149posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I also read the islanders split into two 'camps' and warred with one another, giving rise to cannibalism. The survivors starved to death because there was no way of getting off the island to find . .

3. ameliam.michelle1 profile image77

That is quite strange, thx Alan for this little bits of information

3. Docmo profile image90
    Docmoposted 4 years ago

The Rapa people of Easter islands used stone chisels to carve out the Moai staues - they were supposed to represent their dead ancestors who would look over them. The theory is that they used p'Y' shaped wooden sledges to transport the oak to the shore where they were placed facing inwards. The sea represented the netherworld and the ancestors were meant to be on that edge looking over and protecting the living. The volcanic rock quarries had stones that were soft enough to be carved - they weren't just heads but  often were eepicted knee high. Many hundreds of the mobi were still left in the quarry. The theory is they ran out of trees that would've helped build these massive sledges. It took many days and much manpower to transport!

If this theory is true then, it would have required a hell lot of manpower, how did they manage that, sometimes I JUST WONDER

4. carlajbehr profile image91
    carlajbehrposted 4 years ago

They skidded them with logs, ropes and pulleys.

Could be the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but still it would have taken extraordinary efforts, what do you say?

5. Jlbowden profile image90
    Jlbowdenposted 4 years ago

I tend to believe that given the general landscape around that area.  And also lack of any real materials to build transportation devices.  I have to assume, that a much higher intelligent power, not from this earth.  Helped them move those statues to where they sit today.  It may sounf far fetched, but Hey!!  Know one really knows for sure!  We can only speculate with what we already know, which is very little.

You know what James.,sometimes even I think about that there must have been some supernatural powers behind this, sounds so mysterious, those statues seem to bear an unmistakble enigma, what do you say?

2. Jlbowden profile image90
      Jlbowdenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

ameliam:
      I have to go along with you, that they do bare an unmistakable enigma. Possibly to our ancient forefathers, who came back to visit their earthly children, from some world other than ours. It is certainly a mystery - no doubt!

3. ameliam.michelle1 profile image77

I wish some day we could unravel this mystery!

6. KawikaChann profile image85
    KawikaChannposted 4 years ago

I believe that the statues were already there, and that the Rapa Nui people built the island around it.  LOL... yeah, part of life's mysteries - some things we'll never know until our tears are wiped away and we are enlightened.  Peace.  Kawi.

Ya, there definitely are some mysteries which are still wrapped into the shrouds of indescribability, wish we could know all that Kawika

working