What do you think how Rapa Nui people moved gigantic Easter Island statues?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. ameliam.michelle1 profile image60
    ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years ago

What do you think how Rapa Nui people moved gigantic Easter Island statues?

I was reading an article on Easter Island statues and was totally absorbed by it. They have always fascinated me, but even more fascinating was the theories related to the actual 'transportation' of those statues. What is your opinion on this?

2. alancaster149 profile image74
    alancaster149posted 10 years ago

As with the erection of Stonehenge in Wiltshire (UK), archaeologists have shown the possibility of moving the huge Sarsen stones on large wooden sledges. Although there are precious few trees on Easter Island now, at one time - I read - these were all used for building homes, ships and fires. Some could have been used for building sledges to transport the carved statues.

ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey Alan, I didn't know about that, but still it is too bizarre to be true, seems totally unbelievable, don't you think?

2. alancaster149 profile image74
      alancaster149posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I also read the islanders split into two 'camps' and warred with one another, giving rise to cannibalism. The survivors starved to death because there was no way of getting off the island to find . .

3. ameliam.michelle1 profile image60

That is quite strange, thx Alan for this little bits of information

3. Docmo profile image90
    Docmoposted 10 years ago

The Rapa people of Easter islands used stone chisels to carve out the Moai staues - they were supposed to represent their dead ancestors who would look over them. The theory is that they used p'Y' shaped wooden sledges to transport the oak to the shore where they were placed facing inwards. The sea represented the netherworld and the ancestors were meant to be on that edge looking over and protecting the living. The volcanic rock quarries had stones that were soft enough to be carved - they weren't just heads but  often were eepicted knee high. Many hundreds of the mobi were still left in the quarry. The theory is they ran out of trees that would've helped build these massive sledges. It took many days and much manpower to transport!

If this theory is true then, it would have required a hell lot of manpower, how did they manage that, sometimes I JUST WONDER

4. carlajbehr profile image84
    carlajbehrposted 10 years ago

They skidded them with logs, ropes and pulleys.

Could be the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but still it would have taken extraordinary efforts, what do you say?

5. Jlbowden profile image86
    Jlbowdenposted 10 years ago

I tend to believe that given the general landscape around that area.  And also lack of any real materials to build transportation devices.  I have to assume, that a much higher intelligent power, not from this earth.  Helped them move those statues to where they sit today.  It may sounf far fetched, but Hey!!  Know one really knows for sure!  We can only speculate with what we already know, which is very little.

You know what James.,sometimes even I think about that there must have been some supernatural powers behind this, sounds so mysterious, those statues seem to bear an unmistakble enigma, what do you say?

2. Jlbowden profile image86
      Jlbowdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ameliam:
      I have to go along with you, that they do bare an unmistakable enigma. Possibly to our ancient forefathers, who came back to visit their earthly children, from some world other than ours. It is certainly a mystery - no doubt!

3. ameliam.michelle1 profile image60

I wish some day we could unravel this mystery!

6. KawikaChann profile image82
    KawikaChannposted 10 years ago

I believe that the statues were already there, and that the Rapa Nui people built the island around it.  LOL... yeah, part of life's mysteries - some things we'll never know until our tears are wiped away and we are enlightened.  Peace.  Kawi.

Ya, there definitely are some mysteries which are still wrapped into the shrouds of indescribability, wish we could know all that Kawika

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)