jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is the ww1 something that interests you.

1. raymondphilippe profile image83
    raymondphilippeposted 3 years ago

Is the ww1 something that interests you.

I am going to stay in Verdun, France, for a week to visit some historical sites. Any tips you would care to share.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8913289_f260.jpg

2. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 3 years ago

I find the world wars both fascinating and naturally tragic. I've studied the poetry of war, particularly World War 1 which produced many fine poets. Their work is a fitting testament to such an ordeal.
    There are many places to visit close to the Somme. I'm sure you'll find your visit both moving and inspiring.
    I was in France just a fortnight ago, near Limoges in the centre of France. My friends suggested I visit Oradour-sur-Glane, a memorial centre, a whole village ruin kept intact by the French government as a reminder of Nazi occupation and cruelty. It's an incredible place to witness as many items - cars, sewing machines, tables, bullet holes in stone - are in situ just as on that tragic day in June 1944 when over 600 were massacred by the SS.
    I wrote a hub on this topic.

raymondphilippeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Chef. I'll read your hub when i'm home. Enjoying our stay so far in Verdun. Thanks for answering.

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

Yes, I have an interest. Less today than a few years back. I read some letters my grandfather wrote to his mom in my 30's. That sparked an interest beyond the movies like Sargent York and Gary Cooper. My grandpa was at the Argonne Forest. He did suffer then from mustard gas barrages and survived. Not sure if at Argonne or not.

Today the Argonne forest I understand is a historic site for northern France with lush green lands and forest. I would like to see because of the connection with my grandpa.

raymondphilippeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think we might well have passed through. Your grandfather participated in one of the most fearsome battles. That must have been strange to read his letters to his mom. Thanks for sharing.

2. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 3 years agoin reply to this

YW . . . my grandpa was a writer in High School and College. He went to Stanford. I discovered one of his short stories published by a pastor offering tribute to him winning a writing contest his senior year. It was a link at an online family tree.

working