Can The Weather Really Change Your Mood?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Venus Rivera profile image59
    Venus Riveraposted 9 years ago

Can The Weather Really Change Your Mood?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12055037_f260.jpg

2. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 9 years ago

Oh yes. Any teacher will tell you that they really don't want to be at school when the kids can't get out and play in the playground during recess and lunch because of lots of rain. The kids feel cheated from being too much indoors and it does affect their ability to concentrate on lessons.

There is the saying 'high as a kite'. This usually refers to drug or alcohol consumption. Even so kids do tend to get loopy when there's high winds around.

Extremely hot weather can be depressing for a lot of people and for some life threatening. In the USA there are plans in place to deal with the effects of extreme heat on humans as well as farm animals and wild life. Disease is more likely to take off and run rampant when it is extremely hot and a lot of people are sweating as opposed to when it is cooler.

During the Battle of the Bulge in WW2 it was discovered that cold can slow down the process of blood loss from wounds. This discovery has since been used in heart surgery to buy the surgeon more time for a successful operation. Being able to save a life that might otherwise be lost through the use of cold must do something positive to the surgeon.

During WW1 a bitter winter with lots of rain in and along the trenches of the western front resulted in cases of what is known as trench foot. If a person has their feet immersed in water, especially cold water, for too long feeling in the feet can be compromised. The end result? Not enough blood circulation. Worst case scenario the foot or possibly the feet require amputation. The Somme was basically a swamp until it was drained in the middle ages. Lots of heavy use of bombs and shells removed many of the protective trees creating craters reminiscent of what you might find on the moon. When the rains came what was once swamp quickly became swamp again. There are stories of men drowning in mud. What's more the tank, the then new super weapon, was made useless in such conditions. Of course it proved valuable during the war but not in the winter of 1916-1917 on the western front. Soldiers including commanding officers felt helpless to do anything about these really bad conditions. Rats invading the trenches because of the cold and the wet also added to the misery of the average soldier on both sides.

Right now I am enjoying summer in Australia. There's time off work and there's the beach. We all celebrate Christmas in our own way. Christmas in Australia is, as it is elsewhere in the world, dictated by the weather. The BBQ, the swim, cold ham etc. We also get a lot of visitors from England and the USA who wish to escape the cold. So in terms of tourism having a warm winter when others have the opposite does pay off. I love a summery Christmas so...Merry Christmas!

Venus Riveraposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the history lesson. Very well said!

2. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. I suppose I tend to use history to make a point or two.

3. manatita44 profile image71
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

It does appear so. Don't ask me why, but people do seem to be happier and more cheerful in the Summer rather than Winter, and researchers say the same thing.

From a healthy standpoint, Vitamin D is a sunshine vitamin, and the lack in winter causes pain in some, which invariably has an effect on moods. Exercise also has an effect on mood and we do more of this, when the weather is nice.

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good answer.

2. Venus Rivera profile image59

You have a valid point. Thank you for leaving your input.

4. Nigham AFZAL profile image82
    Nigham AFZALposted 9 years ago

Oh yes! It does.
    Sometimes a rainy day cheers you up and sometime just a cloudy day can make you depress...!
    So again it's a BIG YES to your question. smile

It's weird to say but moods do change when it's rainy, sunny, and snowy.  I'm glad you see my point. Thank you for leaving your input.

5. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

yes, when it is rainy day, i become lazy, feel like hibernating mood. When the weather is cool, I have tons of ideas and when the weather is hot, i feel moody

The weather does that sometimes. Thank you for leaving your input.

6. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

A sunny day brightens my day better than a cloudy one. Rain is not too bad, but with lightning I do not do much on account of staying away from windows.
    On cold days I move faster to keep warm and I just want to stay under warm blankets. In dry heat I am usually fine, when it gets too humid I move slow.

7. Jeannieinabottle profile image90
    Jeannieinabottleposted 9 years ago

Yes, I definitely believe that.  When I wake up in the morning and it is gray outside, I have no desire to get up.  However, if it is a bright, sunny day, I am much more likely to get up quickly to start my day.  I am far more positive about my day when the sun is shining.  I will leave the window blinds up and enjoy it.

8. aesta1 profile image92
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Yes, I like to go out and enjoy when it is sunny but when it is dark and dreary, I just want to stay in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)