Looking for a recommendation for a weekend city break in Europe

1. Colin Quartermain profile image94
    Colin Quartermainposted 2 years ago

Looking for a recommendation for a weekend city break in Europe

Which city would you suggest for a Friday to Sunday trip in Europe (Outside of England) and why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12398242_f260.jpg

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 2 years ago

I'd go for either Amsterdam or Paris.

Amsterdam has a homely feel, quaint architecture, Flemish gable ends, cobbles, canals, scenic streets, cheaper eateries. Paris is more cosmopolitan, has grand buildings, wide boulevards, markets, les maisons avec window shutters and neat roof tops.
    Amsterdam is full of flowers, coffee, Edam cheese, Gouda, wacky weed, and many locals speak great English but you can always have a laugh learning some dutch!
    Paris has cheaper better wine, wide wide choice of eateries, from African to old French, not much English but book stalls by the Seine.

You'll probably pay a bit more in Paris but you'll get the big city treats - shows, museums, galleries, the history of the cafe society, and spring in a very romantic setting.

But weighing everything up, overall I'd go for Amsterdam. It can be more relaxed depending on public holidays, school holidays and so on.You have a choice of modern hotel or ancient brick bed and breakfast, the locals are arguably friendlier, van Gogh and Rembrandt are there, Anne Frank, a lively contemporary art scene, plus canal boats for hire.

1. Colin Quartermain profile image94
      Colin Quartermainposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Been to Paris a couple of times, but there is so much more I want to see there, as only really done Louvre, Eiffel tower and Arc de Triomphe.
      Spent an afternoon in Amsterdam on way to east of Holland, got to see the Reijksmuseum but little more.

working