Curious cat behavior

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (25 posts)
  1. writtendreamz profile image59
    writtendreamzposted 14 years ago

My male neutered cat Thomas has such an interest in my 14-year-old female dachschund Snapple that he always wants to be around her.  He lays by her in her bed and he rubs up against her when she is walking around the house.  Unfortunately, Snapple does not share the same loving feelings.  She responds to his nuzzling and cuddling with growls and whines.  Still, Thomas does not give up.  It is almost as if he is in love with the dog.  To make it more interesting, when I take Snapple outside for a walk, the neighbor's non-neutered male cat comes over and walks right alongside Snapple, barely giving her any room to turn around and do her business.  This particular cat is so "infatuated" with Snapple that he is there by the front door, ready to resume his position alongside Snapple as she tries her best to walk with this cat clinging to her side like an appendage.  The only difference between the two scenarios between the neighbor's cat and my cat, Thomas, is that Snapple "endures" the attention from the neighbor's cat, while she growls when Thomas gives her affection.  Does anyone know why these cats are so intent on "marking" my poor Snapple as theirs? hmm  Do you have any funny cat stories to share?

1. carolegalassi profile image60
      carolegalassiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was raised with cats, indoor and outdoor cats and I have gotten them from private parties, strays and even from the pound.  All of them have different personalities.  Some are affectionate, others could care less your in the same room.  I did have some good hunters though, that brought everything into the house they caught.  Cats are crazy but they are very therapeutic.  The peace a cat shows when it's sleeping is addicting.

2. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      1. Stimp profile image60
        Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, my neutered pom would "hump" my neutered cat.  The cat didn't know what was going on....just thought he was getting attention.  So, you could hear the cat purring in the next room.  The young children in the house would ask what Stimp was doind to Sam....."oh they are just playing" we'd say.  Then they'd figure it out and say "Stimp's humpin' Sam again".  Alright that's fine....not so fine when company or family was over to visit.

3. profile image0
      theglobalspiritposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing your kitty story. We have a tuxedo cat that we adore. We also feed cats that visit outside.

Your story really made me laugh because it's so cute.

Thanks,

Stacey & Bobby

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I have two cats like that. One is almost feral towards my wife and I, but loves our 4 dogs, and it is mutual. The other cat likes to play with them also and rubs them.

3. Magick Stories profile image41
    Magick Storiesposted 14 years ago

I'm not as pushy about being affectionate. I just lay there and let the dogs and cats know it's okay to play and relax.

Snappy only has to deal with the neighbor's cat when she's outside. When she's inside Thomas is trespassing on her space and she can't get away.

4. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Sounds like Snapple is simply the cat's pajamas!

5. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Snapple is the cats 'meow' for sure wink lol

6. Jennifer D. profile image68
    Jennifer D.posted 14 years ago

writttendreamz: Just as we people are individuals, so are animals.
    It isn't too unusual to hear of two different species bonding to each other, or one to another. I had a dog at one time who just "loved" my rabbit and would lick the bunny for hours. The rabbit just laid there, but never sought out the attention of the dog.
    I have also had a house full of cats who each preferred the company of one over another. The sucking of fur and "kneading" of bellies was commonplace, although not all the cats got along so well.

You never mentioned, is Snapple a spayed dog?

I would love to see pictures of Thomas nuzzling Snapple and I can imagine many pet owners could appreciate such a cute sight (that is, if Snapple doesn't mind too much).
    Thanks for sharing your story.

7. LRobbins profile image45
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

Thanks for sharing your story of Thomas, that's soooo cute.  I have 2 cats each with their own personalities.  Their biggest thing is they get jealous if I give one cat more attention than the other, not sure how they would react to a dog smile

8. Green Things profile image60
    Green Thingsposted 14 years ago

Isn't love grand?  We, too, have a neutered male cat, Jackson, who LOVES our Bernese Mountain Dog, Jakob, and is forever washing his ears and rubbing all over him.  Whenever he has the chance he will be outside just laying side by side with Jakob.  When my husband walks the dogs, the cat happily trots behind them to the park or wherever else they happen to go.  The neighbours love it!

9. E. Nicolson profile image71
    E. Nicolsonposted 14 years ago

My profile picture shows Molly (black and white) and Squeak. Both complete opposites in temperament. Molly was mild mannered and quiet, and Squeak not so much. Yet they were always together. Since Molly's death Squeak has never been quite the same, and she has never taken to another critter.

10. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

We got our Maya when she was a kitten and our now-late Dusty was 12. Maya would jump on him and bite his tail, and generally drive him nuts. Then he needed surgery. When we brought him home from the hospital, he was completely out of it. Maya sat with him for hours, snuggling with him and cleaning him. It was as if she were taking care of him and making sure he was OK. It was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen.

11. S.Shields profile image59
    S.Shieldsposted 14 years ago

Awww he is in love! lol
    My neutered 4 year old male is the friendliest cat you will ever meet! He loves people, other cats and dogs. He loves to play with kittens and chase shadows around. When people come over he is all over them and follows them around and he really like my nephew, he chases my nephew around the house and wants to play.
    I also had a kitten awhile ago and he would go outside and bring in sticks, pine cones anything and hide them in my shoes, it's so cute when they do that!

12. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

My male cat BB did something I'd never seen before.

I've started working part-time, and have neglected to scoop the litter boxes as often as usual.   One of the litter boxes is in an upstairs bathroom.
    Two different times I noticed something unusual-----a TOWEL in the litterbox!  Hubby or I one had left a towel on the floor after showering, and BB had dragged it all the way into it,  the whole towel.
    Apparently, he was trying to clean his claws, or cover up the old litter with something!

No more towels on the floor!  I had to throw away two perfectly good towels.   LOL.   And I've learned my lesson----take time to change the litterboxes,  even if I am tired!

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats awesome! How you been haven't seen you in a while.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've just been busier lately,  and some of my inspiration is lagging as far as writing the last few weeks!   Thank you for asking!
        I'm working part-time but the hours are long when I do.  AND I'm scheduled to work Thanksgiving Day for 8 hours.   Arrgh.   But I'm considering it a temporary job through the Christmas season and maybe New Year's.   Praying hubby's new job will give him the hours to get us back on-track,  'cause neither of us want me to continue working forever.

Sneakorocksolid,  I've missed seein' you around here too.    I think you were my first contact here, if I remember correctly,  and I always look for your posts/hubs.

13. profile image58
    JUAN DE LA RIBERAposted 14 years ago

Having rescued twenty nine cats and seven dogs I can assure you this is not unusual. I have several cats that insist on walking with the dogs and rubbing against them. This is just pack bonding as they are all the same pack. The younger cats hide and pounce on the dogs, as they would siblings in the wild, practice hunting.
    Four cats insist on grabbing leads as they used to play with string as kittens.
    If animals amuse you, try my hubs, Beware the demons of spain and animal quotations

1. kezan98 profile image59
      kezan98posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What a caring individual!! - My admiration goes to you.  I have 3 cats, one being a 5 month old kitten, who is currently nuzzling as I type.  Each of my cats have very different personalities, my oldest cat, plays mothers and she cleans the others if she's decided they're not clean enough and tends to let the kitten go first at feeding time, non of them are related.

I used to have a cat who was the most entertaining cat I've ever met, he used to rip up pieces of cardboard and leave piles of it under your duvet.  He was so friendly that he often followed people home and we had to post flyers to find him, unfortunately he followed the wrong people once and we found him drowned in a local pond. sad

1. S.Shields profile image59
        S.Shieldsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG that is so sad! I would find those people and kick their butts! I dislike people who hurt cats!!

14. hannahz profile image71
    hannahzposted 14 years ago

My cat would wake me up by playing the piano in the middle of the night as well as turning on my stereo...so smart!

1. S.Shields profile image59
      S.Shieldsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aww so cute!
      My cats would lightly paw at my face and headbutt me to wake me up in the morning.

15. Carmen Borthwick profile image59
    Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years ago

My cat, Xena, came to me when she was only five, maybe 5 1/2 weeks old. She was so tiny she fit in my pocket and didn't even know how to meow. When she cuddled in my neck I would make a purring sound which she tried to copy, ending up sounding like a chirp more than a purr or a meow. I decided to try to see if she would mimic other sounds I made and the result is a meow that sounds like mrawma... on a good day it does actually sound like she's calling mama. My husband laughs every time she does it. He also still finds it hard to believe that she sits when told to and comes outside with me, unleashed these days, and goes back in the house when she's told to. She's so clever and I love her more than anyone should probably love a cat. And no I don't have a lot of time on my hands... I'm far too busy trying to teach her how to roll over! LOL

16. Vintagetreasures profile image60
    Vintagetreasuresposted 14 years ago

Your post made me smile.  We have 2 cats, one of which is a 10 month old male that goes by the name of Spaz.  Never was a cat better named.  I swear he has ADD!  Still, he's friendly, affectionate and thinks he should be involved in whatever you're doing - including on hopping on you when you're laying back relaxing in the bath!  He's also a pack rat and hides his stuff behind the couch.  I've found buttons, Barbie shoes, hair bows and ponytail holders as well as acorns and sticks. 

We just put up our Christmas decorations which includes a fairly large village scene.  By the time Christmas gets here there aren't going to be any people left in the town as Spaz is stealing them all and hiding them in his stash.  Think I'll go hunt him up for a good cuddle right now!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)